Lip injections not lasting. Any suggestions?

I got one full syringe of revanesse in my lips, i was pleased with the result for a couple of days while the swelling was going down, than they went back to normal.. so I went for a follow up 13 days after and she said my body is just metabolizing it too fast and recommended i get another full syringe of restylane so i did, again same thing lasted about a week-2 weeks and went back to normal, is this normal? could it possibly be the injector (she was also charging a lot cheaper than most places)

some patients do require more filler than others in highly active parts of the face such as lips. might not be a bad idea to either switch to a higher quality filler or perhaps a slightly different injection technique

Lip injection

Both Revanesse and Restylane are good products for the lip. I doubt you are metabolizing the material that fast. Be sure you are seeing a dermatologist or plastic surgeon who is the Canadian equivalent of board certification in the US

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Lip Augmentation Results

Thank you for your question.  Sorry that you are having some concerns about the duration of your results after lip augmentation.  In general, filler placed in the lips does not last as long as placement in other areas.  This is thought to be due to the constant movement in the lip area.  I prefer to use Juvederm for lip augmentation and find that it lasts 6-8 months on average.  Please be sure to see an expert injector for an in-person reevaluation to fully discuss your concerns and your goals and expectations in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Hope this helps and best wishes!

Lip Filler Longevity

Hi there, your lips should be noticeably fuller for six months or longer, post-procedure. A two week "life" is unheard of and I would recommend seeing a different provider if they believe this is normal.

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician

Lip filers

In general, the fillers placed last about 6 months or longer.  I have not had anyone come back and say it has only lasted two weeks.

Lip Filler timing...

Thank you for your question.  In our experience lip fillers tend to last between 3-6 months in most patients.  2 weeks is way too short and I advise you follow up with a board certified Dermatologist who is an expert in lip injections.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Fat an option

fat is an option but I personally think that it should only be part of your lip volumising. Fat is permanant and can be a little lumpy so some fat in older patients can be topped up with HA.

Something else to bear in mind is if your lips really have gone down. People very quickly get used to their new self and just as quickly forget their old selves. Look back at pictures before you started to have your lips filled to see when your empty lips actually looked like. You might be surprised. 

Hope that helps.

Adam Goodwin

Lip injections

Hello, and thanks for your question. I'm sorry you did not get the result you had hoped for. You could try having more product injected, or you could try a different product such as Voluma (this would be an off-label use). In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with an expert. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Revanesse Filler/Metabolizing Quickly/2 Weeks--Other Options for Fillers (Restylane, Juvederm) or Lip Implant or Fat

Fillers like Revanesse typically have results for much longer. It usually doesn't metabolize as quickly as you described. Lips can be augmented with fillers (Restylane, Juvederm) but also with Lip Implant or Fat for a more permanent solution.I suggest seeing an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Hi, I have performed many lip augmentation procedures using dermal fillers or lip implants for over 30 years.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, the upper lip should be approximately 75 % the size of the lower lip for the lips to appear balanced. The lips can be augmented further using more dermal filler (I prefer using Restylane or Juvederm) or a Permalip implant for a permanent enhancement.  

Dermal filers and lip implants offer far more reliable volume to augment the lips than permanent fillers or fat injections that are also associated with increased, unwanted, side effects.

Hope this helps.