Am I a good candidate for a tummy tuck without weight loss? Should I consider lipo and where? (Photo)

I'm 30 yrs old, 5'7, 246lbs, I'm relatively healthy (dont smoke/drink), no health problems, hysterectomy at 18, 1 child. My expectation/goal is not to be skinny, but proportionate for my body type. Weight loss has been a struggle for me having PCOS. I've maintained my weight over the years. Although I'm not happy with what the scale says, I know my body,I know what I can do with it, and I'm content with everything except my stomach. Please share your thoughts, comments, concerns! Thanks

Am I a good candidate for a tummy tuck without weight loss? Should I consider lipo and where?

As long as you are medically cleared for surgery (there are increased risks of complications when you are obese) and realistic about your results, you are a candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction. I would recommend liposuction to the back, love handles and a tummy tuck. Remember with PCOS there is increased intra-abdominal fat, so a tummy tuck may not give you a completely flat abdomen.

Am I a good candidate for a tummy tuck without weight loss? Should I consider lipo and where

Thank you for your question.  It is hard to fully give you answer based on your photos without an examination.  It appears that you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction of the flanks and lower back.  Best wishes!

Options to a Tummy Tuck

Dear ByouTful1,

Although you might benefit from liposuction of the upper back and hips, I am very confident you will be disappointed in the results of a tummy tuck at your current height and weight. The problem is most of your fat in the anterior abdomen is located around the internal organs within the abdominal musculature or abdominal wall. There are two goals of a full tummy tuck, to tighten the skin and tighten the muscles to yield a flat stomach. No surgeon is going to be able to tighten those muscles sufficiently to give you a result you are pleased with.

Your three courses are: (1) Do nothing; (2) Consider bariatric surgery to lose 75+ pounds in which case body contouring would be much more likely to give you a result you are pleased with and that you will feel was worth the trouble, expense and downtime; (3) The last option if you do not want to consider bariatric surgery is to consider a panniculectomy which means excision of the lower roll of skin and fat (panniculus) going from hip to hip with a low-lying scar and consider liposuction of the upper abdomen if there is enough subcutaneous fat to make a difference.

I hope this has been helpful to you.

Sincerely,
Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Tummy Tuck

I recommend you performing the tummy tuck because you say you could not lose weight. Your abdomen could be not completely flat after surgery because of your intra abdominal fat but definitely you would look better.

Aramis Vega, MD

Obesity and tummytuck

I appreciate your desires and concerns. I think the key in your case is the PCOS. I normally recommend diet and exercise prior to surgery to maximize the final result. However, your inability to lose weight is directly related to PCOS. Since you appear to have realistic expectations, I believe that abdominoplasty with lipo of the flanks and back is reasonable, as long as you realize that risks are significantly increased. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon.

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Tummy tuck is too high a risk

I would not recommend a tummy tuck at your current BMI due to the high risk of complications and also the fact that results would be suboptimal.  Liposuction of the abdomen, flanks and back is reasonably safe option at your current BMI.  However it is not a substitute for weight loss and will not tighten skin.For those who are at a BMI over 35 and cannot make progress with diet and exercise we have made referrals to our Bariatric colleagues for consideration of a gastric sleeve or other surgical weight loss options.  Our patients have them come back to us much lighter, healthier and able to undergo body contouring with safe and predictable results.  At 100 pounds over ideal body weight it is highly unlikely you will get the results from body contouring you desire and the complication risk is high.

Denton Watumull, MD
Richardson Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and liposuction with obesity

You are not good candidate for tummy tuck and liposuction because of over weight make risk of complications and also not nice result as expectations.If you loose your weight you will have much loose skin to do tummy tuck with nice shape expectations tu

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photos you a good candidate for the tummy tuck procedure.   You may also wish to consider liposuction of the back and flanks to help achieve your overall goal.  When you schedule your consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon, make certain to vocalize your desired results so you can create a unique surgical plan for you.

Best regards,
Dr. Lane F. Smith, MD
Plastic Surgeon
Las Vegas, NV

Lane Smith, MD

Am I a good candidate for a tummy tuck without weight loss?

At your current Ht/Wt your BMI is close to 40. that makes you an extremely high risk and it would be foolhardy to do elective cosmetic surgery when your risks are that high. If you do find someone willing to do the surgery make sure it is in a hospital with at least an overnight stay where resuscitative measures are available. Personally I would not be willing to do this extensive surgery on a patient at that BMI.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Tummy tuck is a valid option for you

Based on your description of yourself and your expectations from surgery tummy tuck is a very valid option for you.  Liposuction of flanks and waistline at time of your tummy tuck will improve your results.  

Vasdev Rai, MD