Would a small fat containing umbilical hernia be a contraindication for abdominal smart-liposuction? (Photo)

I have had this small hernia since my pregnancy in2005. A general surgeon said he wouldn't even bother to fix it if he were me. It only contains fat per a CT report. Would this prevent me from being able to have lipo sculpture on my abdomen?

Is Liposuction of the Abdomen with a Hernia OK?

Even if the hernia only contains fat by CT scan, puncturing the hernia would put you at risk for significant complications. If you were my patient, and you wanted liposuction of the abdomen, I'd recommend that you get the hernia fixed. Liposuction is an elective cosmetic procedure, and to achieve a good abdominal liposuction result, the cannula would move around the belly button. Avoiding the belly button would leave a bulge that have a negative impact on the result.

For more information about liposuction, click on the link below. 

Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Would a small fat containing umbilical hernia be a contraindication for abdominal smart-liposuction?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Umbilical Hernia and Abdominal Liposculpture

A hernia is a real contraindication to liposuction in that area unless you have it repaired at the time of the liposuction procedure.  Injuring the hernia contents could be catastrophic and is not worth the risk.  Sculpting could be performed over the abdomen but the area adjacent to the hernia would have to be well-avoided.  Your waist and sides could be sculpted and the anterior abdomen left alone.  Hernias can become an emergency and it's pretty easy to fix them electively.  So if you're truly considered sculpting of the tummy then have the hernia repaired.   

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Hi... thank you for the question and photo... An umbilical hernia is not a contraindication for a liposculpture, and this could be fixed in the same procedure. 

Luis A. Mejia, MD

Hernia

Most plastic surgeon would recommend having your hernia repaired before considering liposuction of your abdomen to minimize the risk of rupture. Otherwise, that area would not be treated with liposuction.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Absolutely not

Hello, hernias are not a contraindication for a lipoesculture, and most plastic surgeons are able to fix such hernia and do the liposuction at the same surgery. Best wishes.

Luis Tactuk Simo, MD

Hernia and liposuction

Umbilical hernia is a relative (not absolute) contraindication for liposuction in the area close to the hernia. Liposuction can still be performed if lots of care is taken to avoid coming in contact with it.
I hope that helps and best regards, Dr. Sapijaszko.

Mariusz Sapijaszko, MD, FRCPC
Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon

Umbilical hernia

If care is taken, laser liposuction (Smart lipo) can still be performed.  The concern is penetrating the hernia sac with the laser.  Although the hernia contains fat on CT, one cannot exclude the possibility of small bowel being nearby and potentially injured.  Also if the hernia is penetrated during infusion of the lidocaine solution, some of the solution could end up in the peritoneal cavity causing toxic levels of lidocaine to be absorbed.  After the liposuction if the hernia is not repaired, the navel may have an outward appearance since abdominal fat has been removed all around the area.  You need to weigh these concerns prior to proceeding.  Good luck!

Jeffrey Marvel, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello. Having a hernia is not contraindication for liposuction. One option would be to make reparation of hernia and liposuction and at the same time. Good luck!

Dr. Manuel Marte.

Manuel Marte, MD