Help! Is this normal? Fue postoperative 8 weeks. 2300 grafts in front around forelock and hairline. Please advise. (photo)

I had tremendous swelling post op and the area was so red it was purple. Now I still have redness and the tissue seems like it is ridged and going to scar. The pinprick holes are still evident and the tissue has a rubbery feel to it? Also, the donor area in the back is still evident and the hair has a moth eaten quality to it. No hairs either yet on Recipient area. Been using aloe/vitamin e lotion to help healing? What can I expect at this point? Am I permanently scarred? Please advise. Thanks

You may have scarring.  Maybe it is a normal healing process.  You can't say without an exam.

To be clear, FUE is NOT a scarless surgery and the rubbery bumps may be FUE scars (all 2300+ of them).  It may get better with time but only time will tell.  Any cut on the skin will leave a scar (FUE is not an exception). The moth eaten quality is a common description of what a FUE scar looks like with hairs cut short (especially when you don't have a high donor hair density).

If you are a math type of guy, 2300 FUE holes are equivalent to 2.8 square inch of bald skin that is contributing to the moth eaten look with your short hair cut.  (pi x (0.5mm)^2)x2300 ... convert this back to square inches

Redness and purple color is not typical.  You need to follow up with your doctor for a recheck.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

8 weeks concern following FUE

Some people heal at slower rates than others. You should normalize over the next month or so. What I see doen't worry me. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon