I have mild copd. Can I have tummy tuck and lipo? (photos)

I have mild copd. Can I have tummy tuck and lipo?

Yes, assuming you are otherwise a good candidate for tummy tuck surgery, you will likely be able to proceed.  Best to obtain "medical clearance" from the doctors know you best, preferably a pulmonologist. Then, make sure that you are working with a board certified plastic surgeon (and preferably a board-certified anesthesiologist) in a fully accredited surgery facility. Best wishes.

COPD- Pre Cosmetic Surgery

Thank you for your question. It would be best for your Plastic Surgeon to assess and determine your suitability for these surgeries.

All the best

Thank you for your question and photographs.  Based on your pictures you
are most likely a candidate for a full “tummy tuck”. 

You must pass a medical clearance before surgery specially for COPD as this patient can put significant stress on their plication and scars.

The way we correct the rectus diastasis or “pooch”
it's by plicating or  sewing the muscles back together into the midline
after being displaced laterally after pregnancy.  The corrected the skin
laxity that you had I would recommend not pursuing a mini- tummy tuck,
as you can imagine keeping the scar centrally located would not allow
you to remove all the skin elasticity that you need for a good result. 
Liposuction is not a good idea in your specific case, as this will only
worsen the amount of stretched skin, and usually tightening of the
muscles underneath is not perform during this procedure.
It is best
to discuss your concerns with a bore certify plastic surgeon were he can
perform an examination and give you a better idea of the potential
outcome while sharing your goals with this surgery.  Using pictures will
give us an “idea” of your problem however this not replace a physical
examination.  My advice to you is to do your homework, find someone who
is board certified, look at before and after pictures, discuss your
goals and ask for a scar regimen after your surgery to improve the
quality of the scar.
Best of Luck !

I have mild copd. Can I have tummy tuck and lipo

Thank you for your question and photo.  You will need clearance from your physician before surgery is performed.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.  Best wishes!

Tummy tuck and COPD

When you go for medical clearance, your doctor will determine if, with your degree of COPD, whether you can be cleared to have elective surgery such as a tummy tuck.

Arnold S. Breitbart, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Copd and TT

Thank you for your question. Your overall health and your fitness for surgery determined by your physician including the risk. If you are low risk per their evaluation surgery can be performed.

COPD will put you at a higher risk when you have a breathing tube.  But this question is more for your medical doctor.  If you are optimized to be your best medically, then you can undergo the procedure as long as you understand the risks and benefits. 

Tyler C. Street, MD
Napa Plastic Surgeon