Breast Reduction 34H to 34C, question about amount of weight removed. Any suggestions?

I went for a consultation for a breast reduction. My current size is a 34H, I am 5'9 and weigh 160 lbs. My surgeon said he could only remove around 380 to 400g per side. I would like to be a 34C. I know my insurance requires 500. This seems like a small amount of weight for the drastic size reduction I am hoping for, I am worried that insurance will deny this claim. Should I seek a second opinion?

Thank you for the question. There is no direct correlation between the amount of tissue removed and the ultimate cup size that a patient will wear after breast reduction surgery.  There is simply too much variability among bra cup manufactures to make it a useful metric when it comes to preoperative communication and/or post operative predictions.  
Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon (who you should choose very carefully). Most patients wish to achieve enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso. 

With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “B or C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.  Once you have communicated your goals carefully, your plastic surgeon will be able to provide you with an estimation of how much tissue will need to be removed, in order to achieve your desired outcome. Best wishes with your breast reduction procedure; hopefully you will be very pleased with the outcome of the procedure performed.

Yes, it is always a good idea to get more than one opinion. But you need to understand letter cup size is a clothing size and no surgeon can give you such a specific reduction that he can guarantee what size bra you will wear. The amount removed has to be enough to give you comfort but not so much that it damages the breast.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD