Juvederm in Cheeks a Few Months Ago and Have Hard Lumps? (photo)

Doctor Answers 8

Juvederm filler in cheeks

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You should consult a certified dermatologist, plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon for assessment.  Hopefully, it is too much filler placed incorrectly, but infection should be ruled out.

If the problem is just too much filler, it may be melted with hyaluronidase and you can start over again with filler.  I would start by replacing lost volume in your upper cheeks and then proceeding to the lower face areas as needed.  You should also consider Botox to lift the corners of your mouth.  With this approach, you would have a more youthful, natural appearance. 

Toronto Dermatologist

Cheek lumps after Juvederm

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I agree with all below about having it removed with hyaluronidase.  I also do not believe that you need a face lift.  You would do very well with 3-5 vials of Sculptra to replace volume in the temples and cheek areas.  This will give you the lift you need and reshape your face to provide a more youthful "oval".  Be sure to check on physician credentials and to ask for before and after pictures to get an idea on what can be done.  The Sculptra would also last much longer than other injectables.  Good luck!

Curt Samlaska, MD
Las Vegas Dermatologist

Remove this Juvederm and start over

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I agree with Dr. Schwartz. You do not need a face lift. You need your filler placed differently and you will get plenty of "lift". Everyone has a different way of placing fillers, especially when patient wants to get rid of lines in nasolabial folds and around mouth. There isn;t neccessarily a right an wrong and choice might depend on budget.   I would prefer to see your lines pulled up and out by adding volume to mid face and not to fill the actual creases themselves. That will relax creases and give your face the contour that hopefully you will love. There are several choices for this and any, done well, would be good: Sculptra, Radiesse or Perlane to start. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist
4.8 out of 5 stars 20 reviews

You might also like...


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Wow, I hope that is still swelling in the cheek . Also hope that your injector is a board certified plastic surgeon, dermatologist, or facial plastic surgeon experienced enough in injectables, and not a non physician injector.

The other issue is that you were not a candidate for injectable fillers. You needed a face lift. Injectables are over used, sold and there is no such thing as "liquid facelift"

need to disolve the Juvederm, in such wide area, diluted hyalorinidase should be injected with an infiltration cannula (Like tumescent liposuction).

Then consider face lift and fat transfer.

Samir Shureih, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon

Hard lumps in cheeks after Juvederm a few months ago?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Unfortunately, it's hard to tell where the lumps are from your photo. I do see some irregularities but its not clear what is product since there are no "before" pictures for comparison. you do appear to have a loss of volume in your mid face so maybe adding more volume would correct the appearance.  This can be done with dermal fillers, sculptra or with fat transferred from another area to your face All of these methods have been successful for different individuals. Depending on your individual situation

Sam Naficy, MD, FACS
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 231 reviews

Juvederm hard lumps in cheeks

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Best to speak with a dermatologist or plastic surgeon who will ask you some important questions and assess the affected area. Some of this swelling may be easily resolved with hyaluronidase injected to dissolve the hyaluronic acid. At the same time, there may be an infection in the treated area, and several weeks of antibiotics may be required.

Benjamin Barankin, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm in Cheeks a Few Months Ago and Have Hard Lumps?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

 You may want to go back and find out exactly what filler was used?  Juvederm is a relatively thin filler and should not migrate or lump up months later. 

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Hard lumps from Juvederm

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

As it is a few months since your Juvederm injection this is not likely to be swelling so you should have it reversed. Contrary to the opinion of the plastic surgeon below, you do not "need a face lift" and you are an excellent candidate for filler injections that simply need to be done correctly. A "liquid facelift" actually does exist as well. When done properly with Sculptra it can produce a dramatic improvement with a very natural appearance and avoids having to go through surgery.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.