Follow-Up Question: Is the lollipop or anchor technique best for me? (photos)

I am 44, 5'3" 160lbs. I wear a 36H. One PS told me that my breasts are very dense. He said there was very little sagging and that he would not have to move the nipple far. The problem with him is he only offers the keyhole or anchor technique and always performs nipple grafting. He said I would have drain tubes for three days. Another PS said I would be a good candidate for the lollipop procedure with no drain tubes and less scarring. All opinions are appreciated.

Preference between Lollipop and Anchor Lift

A mastopexy or breast lift operation is designed to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used for breasts which sag or droop (ptosis). Sagging of the breasts may occur with normal development for some women, or as part of the aging process. Pregnancy, breast-feeding and weight loss are other conditions which increase breast ptosis. Some patients will have a better shape to their breast such as increased superior fullness if an implant is used at the time of mastopexy. The procedure can also be combined with a minor breast reduction to reduce the breast width if desired. The surgery will create an elevated, more youthful breast contour. Also, the procedure will create nipple and areolae of the desired size and at the correct height. I prefer to  use a #shortscar technique, #LollipopScar or #DonutLift” rather than the majority of surgeons in the United States that use an anchor pattern lift which involve more significant scarring.

Mastopexia w/lollipop scar

Thanks for submitting your photos. My advise to you will be a mastopexia surgery with lollipop scar. I do not use any dren for breast surgeries. Please consult with a plastic surgeon. Good luck...

Ozge Ergun, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Vertical Breast Reduction

You would likely benefit from a vertical breast reduction with lollipop scars with a small anchor component.  You should not need free nipple grafting.  Using this technique your breasts will be lifted, decreased in size, and give you an improved aesthetic result.  Good luck

Gaurav Bharti, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Lollipop or anchor

Thank you for your question.  You do not need a planned nipple graft for your breast reduction.  An anchor technique will allow for the greatest ability to contour your breasts.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

It depends

You have large voluptuous symmetrical breasts.  Any procedure you do is going to leave visible possibly cosmetically unattractive scars. If you are happy with the volume of your breasts (H cup!) I would recommend you do nothing, as the resulting scars will be very noticeable and I feel would detract the natural beauty of your breasts. 

In light of the large volume of your breasts, I would recommend a breast reduction in the future, when you probably start having problems with back, shoulder, neck and postural difficulties due to the weight that needs to be supported by your bra.

As long as you are not a smoker, I do not feel that any nipple grafting (taking the nipple off as a skin graft and sewing it back on higher) would be necessary.  This also may preserve normal sensation to the nipple and areola as a nipple graft will be permanently numb.

Philip Lambruschi, MD
Arlington Heights Plastic Surgeon

What type of technique for breast reduction

I am assuming you are going for a breast reduction. In that case I would recommend an anchor technique. I personally don't use drains and I don't feel by looking at your pictures that the nipples would have to be grafted. That assumes you are not a smoker and are otherwise in good health. It would not hurt to get another opinion in person.

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

100% anchor incision

You have beautiful breasts that are symmetric, but very large.  In order to maximize your results, you will 100% need an anchor lift.  Your nipple to inframammary fold distance should roughly be 3.5 cm less than your base width to have the prettiest proportion and best looking breasts possible.  Let's say your breast base width is 14 cm...your nipple to fold distance should then be 10.5 cm.  Now imagine bringing your nipple up 5 cm (roughly 2 inches) with your "lift".  Your new distance from your nipple to your fold will be 5 cm longer, right?  If you don't have tissue and skin removed in the lower pole of your breast (through the transverse incision that is hidden in your fold anyway), that distance would be way to long and give you a cosmetically-displeasing result.  I'm happy you posted pictures- that makes giving advice much easier.  No one should ever offer you a free nipple graft- that's just crazy.  I would think most plastic surgeons do not use drains for breast reductions.  I hope this helps.  I think you need to keep searching for the plastic surgeon that is right for you.  Look at their results and choose what's best- you deserve the best result imaginable.

-JGH

Lift

I would suggest avoiding a nipple graft with your size. The lollipop incision might work very well for you. That would be the procedure I would suggest just looking at your photos. If you want a significant reduction, you might need the anchor lift.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon