I am 31 and I am beginning to see frown lines. Once I start getting Jeverderm treatments, how often should I get them? Is there a health risk to getting these treatments over a long period of time?
How Often Should I Get Juverderm Treatments for Frown Lines?
Botox Price Calculator
What would you like to change?
Enter your info to request custom estimates from three local providers.
These providers will send a more accurate price based on your needs.
Doctor Answers 20
How to deal with Frown line?
Frown lines can vary in depth from person to person. They are cause by the repeated motion in that area causing creases in the skin. In a person with deep from lines using a combination of botox and filler will result in the best result. With time and repeated treatments with botox to minimize movement filler can be added if and when needed. Juvederm last around 9-12 months and is made of hyaluronic acid. There is no known long term side effects from filler treatment.
Frown line options
1) Botox or Dysport can be used to soften the deepening of the frown lines when making a frown expression. The treatment may even soften the lines that are present at rest. The effects typically last 3-4 months depending on the dose. I generally use between 15-40 units of Botox (30-120 units of Dysport) in the frown area depending on the strength of the muscle and the degree of frown reduction we are trying to achieve.
2) Restylane or Juvederm can be used to soften the frown lines that are present even when you don't make an expression. This can last for a year or more when used in conjunction with Botox.
For someone who has concerns with both the static lines (without expression) and the dynamic lines (with expression), then using both products would work well together.
I often find that patients who return after a Botox or Dysport treatment in the frown areas complaining it didn't work, is due to the confusion between the static and dynamic frown lines. They continue to see the static lines even though the dynamic lines have softened considerably.
How often should you get Juvederm treatements for frown lines?
- Your frown lines are caused by years and years of repeated contractions of the Corrugator muscles. This in turn causes a thinning of the overlying fat and skin - creating wrinkles. The ideal treatment will include both Juvederm AND Botox.
- Juvederm is a fabulous Hyaluronic Acid filler - and will do well filling these fine wrinkles. The problem is, that without Botox, the muscles in this area will still contract - and the Juvederm will be forced out of the area, therefore reversing a good correction.
- Adding Botox, which will smooth the collapsed wrinkles, then using Juvederm to fill in the lost fat causing the wrinkles, results in a smooth and plump area. The Juvederm will stay put, since the Botox has temporarily paralyzed the area muscles, and the treatment will last much longer than either Juvederm or Botox used alone.
- Botox lasts about 3-6 months, Juvederm can lasts 6 months, combining the two products can actually make your treatment provides much longer results than either product would alone.
- However, you need to see a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon in person, to have your unique situation evaluated and treated.
You might also like...
Juvederm frequency of treatments for frown lines
You should start with Botox which stops the movement of the muscles that cause the frown lines. Wait a few weeks and if the lines are still prominent, you can have a filler such as Juvederm injected into the lines. If you keep up with your Botox injections about every 4 months or so, the Juvederm may last for years. You should be treated by a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon.
Juvederm treatment for frown lines is often best when combined with BOTOX
Juvederm treatment for frown lines is often best when combined with BOTOX. This way you often don’t need to repeat the Juvederm treatments. The BOTOX can simply be continued about 3 times a year. Or, if you’re young, even twice a year will suffice. Juvederm by itself in the frown lines doesn’t work as well because the muscle action causes it to absorb. On average it lasts about 6 months, but combining it with BOTOX makes it last longer and additional treatment is needed less often. Frown lines are the result of over action of the muscle. BOTOX can treat the cause of the condition while Juvederm creates a smooth look.
Frown lines best treated with Botox
The frown lines are best treated with Botox. Fillers would be my second choice only after Botox did not give sufficient response.
All of the fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane will help to treat the nasal fold lines and marionette line and fine lines around the mouth. They work well over time. Most patients will have this done once or twice per year.
Frown Lines and Juvederm
For the frown lines (creases between the eyebrows) I would highly recommend a neurotoxin like Botox or Dysport as first choice before resorting to fillers like Juvederm. If the line can't be smoothed out to your satisfaction with the Botox/Dysport then Juvederm can be added to the creases to improve them further but most patients are quite happy without the addition of filler. You shouldn't have any issues with long term use of either Botox/Dysport or Juvederm. You don't have to frown any more.
Dr. Grant Stevens
Newport Beach Botox before Juvederm
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.