CoolSculpting high blood pressure not liposuction

hI have always had low blood pressure and never worried till last week when my Dr and nurse took 2 readings in intervals and it read 142/90. I am 5'5" 142lbs just for info. And 47 yrs old. I am very worried. Thanks Melanie.

High blood pressure

High blood pressure is not a contraindication for Coolsculpting.  You should definitely keep a close eye on it with your internal medicine doctor though.

High Blood Pressure and CoolSculpting

Thank you for your question. Hypertension is not a contraindication for CoolSculpting. In terms of your blood pressure, there could have been many reasons why it was raised. Ensure that you keep close follow up with your physician and that you choose a physician with experience in CoolSculpting. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Coolsculpting and high blood pressure

There is no contraindication to doing the coolsculpting procedure in controlled hypertension.  You did have one episode of high blood pressure which is borderline at best.  Many times certain situations such as visiting a doctor or stress or anxiety can cause the blood pressure to elevate.  With a borderline blood pressure elevation, I would consult with your primary care physician and check blood pressure over multiple visits to see if this is a real elevation or situational, sometimes known as white coat hypertension.  Also you may want to invest in a blood pressure cuff to check blood pressure readings at home which are often times lower than at doctor's offices.  Make sure to check the blood pressure cuff you buy with your physician's to make sure they are giving similar readings.
Hope this helps
Dr H Soni

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Coolsculpting instead of Liposuction

If you have distinct areas of stubborn fat that you were considering liposuction for Coolsculpting is a great option whether you have high blood pressure or not.  First of all,  don't be too concerned about your blood pressure just yet.  They may have been any number of things that could have boosted it when you were in the doctor's office, including just seeing one higher reading  than you are used to and getting somewhat anxious.  Coolsculpting has been a great non-surgical option for our patients that aren't candidates for surgery for any number of reasons (blood pressure, bleeding issues, etc).  Consider a consultation to determine if you are a good candidate for Coolsculpting.  Good luck.

Grant Stevens, MD