Doctor strongly suggested allergy test for Restylane prior to my injections. Was I ripped off?

I went to a certified dermatologist today who informed me that, while rare, it is best if I have an allergy test for Restylane and then wait one week before getting the procedure. She injected a small amount in my arm (it cost ~$40). After leaving, I remembered that I read about how safe Hyaluronic acid is because it's natural in our bodies. Was I just ripped off? If I was, then I will take my business elsewhere.

Doctor recommended allergy test prior to Restylane

I do not normally allergy test patients prior to treating them with Restylane.  If the patient had had a prior possible reaction, I might do an allergy test in that circumstance.  Your physician may be just very cautious, but in my opinion, an allergy test would not be needed.  

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Allergy testing prior to Restylane injections

Thank you for sharing your question. Allergy testing is not necessary prior to injection of hyaluronic acid fillers, but you cannot blame a doctor for being overly cautious. I hope this helps. Good luck,

Restylane skin test

There is absolutely no reason to have a skin test to Restylane.  Additionally, it does not come in that small size to do one so a full syringe must have been opened or using a syringe for multiple patients. I would check it out

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Allergy test with Restylane

Thank you for your question Labythec. Restylane is a filler used to enhance the face. While extremely rare with Restylane, an allergic reaction is possible. This is likely not from the hyaluronic acid, but from other ingredients. In our office we do not routinely test for allergies prior to a treatment. But some doctors may choose to do so as a safety precaution. I would feel very comfortable with a doctor who is very concerned with my safety. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Allergy test?

Typically allergy testing is not needed with hyaluronic acid fillers. Your doctor maybe being overly cautious based on your history.

Christopher Balgobin, MD
Minneapolis Physician