Incision won't heal? 5 weeks post op. (photos)

I had my ba 6/17 the left incision won't heal. It's been stiched up washed with antibiotics twice I'm on oral antibiotics as well. there is a clear "apple juice " type fluid that keeps leaking no fever ,pain only in sternum, working closely with my ps. On this just wondering if yall seen this before, I'm also out of town, do I need to go to the Dr while I'm here to be checkout? Whats the white spot ?

Incision won't heal? 5 weeks post op.

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  I am sorry to hear of your continued recovery issues after breast augmentation surgery as by 5 weeks your incisions should be nearly fully healed.  If you have been on two courses of antibiotics and continue to drain fluid I would be concerned for an implant infection or fluid collection causing your issues.  Either an US to identify the fluid or removal of the implant and allowing your tissues time to heal may be needed.  I am glad that you are working closely with your surgeon, they are in the best position to help you.

Why won't my incision heal?

Thank you for your question and for including pictures. The white spots you are seeing are areas of fibrinous exudate, which is the body's normal healing process on a wound that is open. The trouble is for some reason your body can complete the process of healing. This can be due to lack of blood flow to an area, a foreign body, poor nutrition, fluid collection or infection. Sounds like your ps is keeping close tabs on this which is great. I know you are on antibiotics, but was a culture taken? This would help place you on the most appropriate antibiotic. You could also have something atypical like a fungal infection, which a culture would show as well. Also, are you smoking? Smoking can greatly impair healing due to the nicotine constricting the local blood vessels. Finally, there could be some inflammation of some kind that is causing your body to continue to produce normal physiological fluid. Since you already have a wound the fluid is exiting your body from the path of least resistance. I think it is definitely worth it to follow up with your ps in person so they can evaluate and treat you the best way. Best of luck. 

Patrick L. Basile, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Unfortunately with consistent drainage still present at this point post op I would be concerned that the implant could be infected and/or a seroma which will continuously fill. The solution may be to remove the implant and allow your body to heal completely before reinserting. I recommend that you continue to follow up very closely with your Plastic Surgeon.
All the best

Post op BA

Hi and thanks for the question and photos. The color of your incision and the drainage are concerning for potential infection or implant exposure. I recommend staying in close contact with your PS and keep an eye out for fever and redness. Best of Luck- Dr Hardy...

James E. Hardy, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

1 month post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question. In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. 
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. Kind regards,Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Incision won't heal? 5 weeks post op.

Thank you for your question. Based on pictures you may have infection . I will recommend you to see PS for evaluation as it is difficult to diagnose infection by pictures only.

Possible Infection

Thank you for your question.  It would appear that you may have some type of infection.  It is good that you are taking antibiotics.  Make sure to monitor your progress very closely and follow up regularly with your plastic surgeon.
Dr. Hisham Seify

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Infection of the breast implant

I am sorry to hear of your problems after surgery.  Your photographs suggest you have an ongoing problem with your left breast incision.Based on the appearance, you most likely have a infection that may involve the breast implant.Close followup is required to treat these types of wound problems, but despite excellent care, you may still need the left breast implant removed in order to clear the infection.However, it is difficult to diagnose without a face to face consultation.I would make an effort to see your PS ASAP.Good luck with your recovery and I hope all works out well for you!

Daniel M. Calloway, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Incision issue

Obviously something is going on with the incision, and you may have an infection of the area or delayed healing. you would need to be seen in person to be properly evaluated. 

Hello, based on your information and pictures.... the possibility of an ongoing infection could be the reason you are failing to heal. I would discuss this matter with your PS. In some cases, if the infection gets around the implant, it can be very difficult to resolve the infection without removal of the implant.