Is it common to pass out after surgery?

I'm reading all these posts about women having surgery, and some have issues with passing out. Is this normal? Why does it occur in some, and not others? What can I do to prevent it? Thank you.

Is it common to pass out after surgery?

Thank you for your question. Passing out is not usually common after breast augmentation. However, each individual and situation is unique and can be different from one another. I would suggest you run this question by your chosen board-certified plastic surgeon given that he/she will be ultimately responsible for your care and will know your situation and the operation performed intimately. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi. An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon
is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Passing out after surgery

This is not at all normal. You need to discuss your concerns, and your health status, with an American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS) certified plastic surgeon.

John A. Perrotti, MD

Plastic surgery

A loss of consciousness after surgery is never normal or expected.  There are numerous causes including over medication, excessive blood and fluid loss, labile blood pressure, or drug reaction.

John Burns, MD

Is it common to pass out after surgery?

Best to discuss with your chosen surgeon this 'passing out' issue>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Is it common to pass out after surgery?

Passing out or temporarily loosing conscientiousness after surgery is rare but can occur. In the absence of major post-operative bleeding- it usually is caused by fear. It is unpredictable in most people but temporary. If however, it is accompanied by seizures - it should be evaluated by a neurologist. Clear education pre-operatively and adequate volume of fluids should help reduce the possibility.

Is it common to pass out after surgery?

Thank you for your questions.  Though uncommon, passing out after any surgery can occur due to the stress and imbalance it causes on the body.  Patients may encounter it when first trying to make their way up and out of bed in the morning, or in the process of taking a hot shower in the first few days of recovery.  Take all activity easy for a while after your procedure to avoid this possibility, or at least have another adult provide assistance.  Hope that this helps.

Passing out after BA

Thank you for your question.  I've had one patient "pass out", which occurred 2 days after surgery.  She told me that she was taking her pain medication and sleeping throughout the day.  Since she spent most of the time sleeping, she wansn't staying hydrated.  This combined with her pain probably led to her "passing out".  Whether this was a vasovagal response, low blood sugar or low blood pressure from being dehydrated, we never figured out.  By the time she was evaluated, there were no changes to her vitals or labs to help explain the incident and the episode never occurred again.  

The best way to avoid this complication, is to remain hydrated and keeping your pain under control.  My best advice to you, if this was ever to occur, is to contact your plastic surgeon immediately or go to the ER for a complete evaluation.  On occasion, there is an underlying issue in your health that may be uncovered by the stress of surgery.

Dr. B

Passing out after surgery

It is pretty rare to pass out after surgery, especially breast augmentation.  People pass out for different reasons: anxiety, low blood pressure (which can be due to a variety of reasons), or possibly pain.  Sometimes people can feel faint because they haven't eaten and have stress.  Most feel better when they lay down (which improves circulation to the brain).  

After surgery some people have stronger reactions that others to medications which can affect their blood pressure, heart rate, alertness, or other factors.  They may be dehydrated from lack of eating or drinking, or their blood sugar may be low.  

Any concerns should be discussed with your surgeon.  Possible complications like this should encourage one to seek a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery for your procedure and not a "cosmetic surgeon" who may not even be trained or experienced to handle such medical possibilities. 

Roxanne Sylora, MD

Passing out after surgery

Thanks for your inquiry.  Passing out can be from many things after surgery, including meds, being dry ( not enough water in body), anemia from blood loss, etc.  One of the most common things is a vagal response, when the heart rate slows down and this is out of your control.  The most important thing I recommend isif you do pass out easily, let your surgeon and his/her staff know so they can position you the best before dressing changes, exmination, etc so if you do pass out you can be put in best position where you do not hurt yourself or at least recover quickly.  Good Luck.  

Passing Out after Breast Augmentation Surgery

There are many reasons to pass out after surgery and the situation is unique to the individual and the situation.  Passing out is not common at all after breast augmentation. Consultation with your board certified plastic surgeon is critical to determine if there any medical issues that could lead to that scenario prior to surgery.  Best wishes