Nipples Bigger After Breast Augmentation?

I had a breast augmentation 4 wks ago, I had 330cc under the muscle. Things are still settling as they remain a little high & swollen but I understand this will take time. However my nipples seem much bigger since my op. They are even bigger then when I was pregnant & breast feeding. I am experiencing a lot of tingling & burning in my nipples is this something to do with it? Do you think they wi go down? Thank you

Nipples can get swollen for a period of time after surgery, and often the areola will enlarge a bit after breast augmentation.  The tingling sensation should resolve over time.  Congratulations on your breast augmentation.

There is significant swelling after surgery in all patients. This should improve over the next 4 months

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Nipple change after breast augmentation

What you are describing is a common change that occurs after a breast augmentation.  All of your skin on the breast gets stretched out after an augmentation, and that includes the nipple and areola.  There is also usually increased sensitivity that will decrease over time.  The length of time can vary from patient to patient.  Use nipple protectors as needed until the sensitivity resolves.

Naveen Setty, MD

Nipple Areola Size Increase after Breast Augmentation

Nipple Areola Size Increases after Breast Augmentation.  The sensation changes usually do get better over time and frequently resolve.

Nipple and areola after breast augmentation

Usually the areola expands a bit but the nipple staay about the same size.  With swelling early post-op all things swell, so give it some time.

Nipples and Areola often appear larger after breast aug

What you are experiencing is a normal response to breast augmentation surgery. Simply, the larger volume that the implant imparts will put on stretch the nipple-areola complex. They are not in fact any bigger, they just appear larger than when there were not on stretch before surgery.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Bigger Nipples with Breast Augmentation.

Hello, and thank you for your question.

It is difficult to tell what is going on without a photo.  However, nipples in general will revert back to their largest dimension prior to breast augmentation.  This is because they were stretched prior to the surgery with breast enlargement whether pregnancy or weight gain.  If there was never any change in nipple size prior to surgery, then the areola will stretch to the same degree as the rest of the skin (proportional) unless there is a weakness in the nipple, in which case it may stretch disproportionally.

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Increased Nipple/Areola Complex

The nipple areola complex can appeared enlarged due to the increased breast size.  This may decrease slightly as the swelling subsides.  

Dr. ES

Breast Augmentation and Nipple/Areolar Size

• The tingling and burning sensations in the nipple area are common after breast augmentation. It usually improves after 6 -8 weeks and is unrelated to the change in nipple/areolar size.
  • The final size of the nipple/areolar complex depends on the before size and the size of the implant.
  • The size will not likely change much as they settle. If they are "too big" after 6-12 months, you could consider a "doughnut mastopexy" (areolar redcution). However, you will have a permanent scar around the areolae which could widen and/or remain pink and thick (hypertrophic).

Thanks for your question and best of luck!

Stephen M. Lazarus, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Large nipples? Areola?

In most cases, after breast augmentation the areolas will expand and look larger than previous to surgery. In addition, some patients with tighter than average breast skin can have a temporary expansion of the nipples. It turns out the implants push everything forward -  even the nipples. In most patients, with time and breast skin stretch, things look more balanced when the nipples return to normal projection. Best wishes - Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD