Invisalign Vs Braces on Very Crooked Teeth

I'm 26 years old and I would like to straighten my teeth. Previously I didn't take it too seriously until all of my wisdom teeth come out, it get worse. As you can see in the picture, when I bite, upper row teeth don't meet with lower row's, and one of the upper front tooth is recently changing its color to brown. One of my upper front teeth is crown due to an accident I had when I was a teenager. By considering my condition, would you recommend Invisalign or braces? How long will it take?

Doctor Answers 7

Very crooked teeth can be helped by Functional Facial Orthopedics, then Invisalign or braces

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

As a 26 year old, I advise seeking an orthodontist who has experience with Functional Facial Orthopedics (FFO) which can solve your narrow upper jaw problem with slow expansion without surgery.  Then Invisalign or braces, either one, can lead to a great result.  Examples of non-surgical expansion with adult treatment are shown on this site.  Overall treatment time should be about two years.  Good luck to you.

Invisalign is less predictable than traditional braces

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

While you CAN use Invisalign for your case, it is much more challenging and likely time consuming to treat this way.  I would suggest traditional braces with an experienced orthodontist.

Invisalign for an anterior open bite

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Very difficult case. Although Invisalign can treat the crowding, you do have an anterior open bite.

The upper and lower teeth do not bite together and this is be treated with traditional braces, because the upper teeth are too straight to be realigned with Invisalign.


Correcting severely crowded teeth

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

As you can see from the answers, yours is a case to which there are lots of potential options.  You may also have a tongue habit contributing to your anterior open bite.  I would suggest a thorough exam of your teeth and tooth position problems by a well recommended cosmetic dentist with Invisalign certification (one who others have had good experiences with) who you can trust and who is willing to consider all options and discuss the pros and cons of each.  You have to include your dark tooth in this plan as it may have some nerve problem that could impact treatment.  Your dentist should be associated with a good orthodontist who he is comfortable referring you to for complicated orthodontics.  Remember to develop a priority treatment plan so things are done in proper order.  This may also allow you to space treatment for finances if needed.

No problem!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your picture does not show the entire picture but of whatIi can see, your case should pose no problem to fix with Invisalign. I would imagine that you will probably need to have some teeth extracted.

R. Scott Smith, DMD
Springfield Orthodontist

Can I be corrected with invisalign

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

As a "traditional" orthodontist I take offense to the orthodontist who responded that only "functional facial orthopedics" can fix your problem the "right way"...There is absolutely no good scientific basis for the claim that there is a "functional" way of correcting orthodontic problems that most orthodontist don't do or don't know about!


Robert Waxler, DMD, MS
Saint Louis Orthodontist

Invisalign or Braces for your crooked teeth and open bite

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I will answer this question from an invisalign perspective.  This case from looking at your pictures woudl not be a case that invisalign would be able the handle.  I would recommend seeking an opinion from an orthodontist to see what treatment would be the best for you

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Dentist
5.0 out of 5 stars 3 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.