Internal Scar Tissue After Abdominoplasty?

I had twins and my rectus was seperated from my sternum to my pelvis. I had surgery to repair that...abdominal plasty. I can feel the scar tissue under the skin and it is bulgy. I don't care about the bulge, yet I'm in pain 24/7. Sometimes a very sharp pain on the sides of the interal scar tissue. Always pain on the bulging area. I had an ultrasound, all remains intact. I'm on Gabapentin through the pain management clinic. So far no pain relief. Would PT Ultrasound help?

Doctor Answers 2


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}



Sorry to hear your in constant pain, How long has it been since your surgery? You need to talk to your surgeon and explain what your going through. A little messaging in the area can give you some possible relieve.

Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty after Pregnancy

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Ultrasound helps with inflammation and scarring. If it is determined that this is the cause, it should help. The discomfort from ultrasound treatment is inexistent and no side effects have been reported. I would certainly try 5 or 6 sessions and see if it helps.

M. Vincent Makhlouf, MD, FACS
Chicago Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.