Should I choose moderate plus or high profile?

I am 5 ft 2. I weigh 118. I recently went in for a consultation. Before going in I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted. The fake look. Larger fuller round breasts. The doctor told me the best size for me would be 325 cc silicon implant but he said moderate plus would be better. I'm confused. I want a very fake look. I want a big. not to big, but round look. I really want some other opinions. Should I get moderate plus or high profile. I want a larger base, but I also want fullness.

If you want a "fake" high round look, you should have expert breast augmentation of an adequate size that yields soft, natural breasts, and then wear a nice push-up bra.

High profile (round) implants have the narrowest base diameter (and highest projection) for a given volume choice, but you have to realize that since they are round, they also have the shortest vertical height, and therefore the LEAST upper pole fullness (after your breasts heal and implants eventually drop to their final position).

You will get more close cleavage with moderate plus implants, since narrower HP implants will yield a wide gap cleavage that often is considered very unattractive, and those same HP implants that look full initially (until they drop) will have a deficient upper pole because of their shorter vertical diameter (which is the same as their narrow horizontal diameter). So those who tell you that HP implants give "more upper pole fullness" are wrong, at least for identical implant volumes.

If you want a larger base, AND fullness, and more to push up to give you the round look, perhaps you really want bigger implants in the widest profile that fits your body (breast base diameter). Then you can have your cake and eat it too, but not if you are "set" on those 325s and choose HP!

You are petite and slim, so you probably don't want TOO large, especially if you bring any of your own breast tissue to this surgical "party," but if you have little of your own tissue and want what I think you are describing, perhaps you really do want HP implants in a larger size--closer to 450cc. Work closely with your surgeon and bring goal photographs to your next office consultation. Size and profile should be decided upon BEFORE the day of surgery as many surgeons have to order their implants in advance, and don't have a full stock of implants as we do in our office surgical facility. It would be a shame if they didn't have the ones you really want rather than the ones you think you have decided upon right now. Click on the web reference link below for examples of many of my patients whose pre-op and post-op breast sizes and implant sizes you can compare. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

Cases like yours benefit from computer simulation. A 3-D simulation allows you to see what you will look like with the various implant sizes and shapes.

Which profile

When comparing the same base width of the implant and not the volume, the higher profile shape will have more of a full upper pole. Some of the newer implants with higher fill ratios to maximum shell volume, likewise will contribute to this upper pole full look. Natrelle Inspira and Sientra 206  have worked well in my practice. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast Implant Profile

To get the most fullness in the upper pole of the breast, a high profile implant should be used. But be aware there is more to the shape of a breast augmentation result than just the implant's profile. The size of the breast implant and your chest size and breast tissue tightness all play a role in creating the final breast shape after augmentation.

Moderate plus vs high profile

From your description of the result you would like I would certainly consider high profile implants. I use more moderate plus implants by a significant margin but with what you are asking for I would certainly consider high profile.
On a reassuring note the difference between no implants and having implants is considerable. By comparison the difference between moderate plus and high profile implants is rather less. If you look at the difference in dimensions is measured in millimetres.

Jeremy S. Hurren, BSc, MBBS, FRCS (Plast)
Chichester Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  This sounds as if you should speak with your doctor about your exact desires and perhaps demonstrate it with a few pictures of your goal appearance.  Moderate profile implants will do a nice job of filling your breast implant pockets but will leave a more natural result than high profile or ultra high profile implants. You may also want to consider one of the more higher fill silicone implants made by Sientra or Allergan Inspira.  Hope this helps.

Round Breast Appearance?

If you are looking for a more rounded breast appearance, then a high profile (HP) or ultra high profile (UHP) is the best option.  Even with a silicone HP, the breasts can still look somewhat natural.  In your case, you may want to discuss the UHP implant with your surgeon.  Perhaps another consultation or two would help you clarify exactly what will work best for your frame and your goals.  I hope this helps.

Thank you for the question. There are several steps taken to select a specific size/profile breast implant for a specific patient. The difference between the different profiles of breast implants available have to do with the dimensions (diameter and height) of the implants. For example, the high-profile implant has a greater projection and a smaller diameter compared to the moderate profile implant. The moderate plus profile implant as projection and diameter characteristics that fall between the moderate profile and high profile implants.

I prefer to have a wide selection of implants (all profiles) available in the operating room. I use intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.
Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example,
I have found that the use of words such as “very fake” or "D or DD cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
I hope this (and the attached link/video, dedicated to larger breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes.

Breast Implants/ Breast Augmentation/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/ Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements. Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  

If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance. Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant.

As implant size goes up, the natural amount of breast tissue you have goes down, and the less natural a result you will get. One technique to have a more 'natural' result while still having a large augmentation is to use shaped implants. That being said, this relationship still holds and with bigger implants the final result tends to be more 'sculpted' or 'augmented' and more obvious or easier to identify even when in clothes. Choosing an implant is a complex process.  You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).
Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.
These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon