Boobs look square?

Is it normal for your new boobs to look square and more full on top?

Drop & Fluff

Thank you for your question. Yes, It is quite common for breasts to have this appearance for a month or so post op because the implant volume is under pressure and displaced up and outward for a time. As well, when the Pectoral muscles swell it will contribute to this top heavy/squared appearance because of the swollen contour of the muscles. Typically this is softened somewhat by 2 months post op and breast implants will be dropping into place. This process can take between 2-6 months to complete.

All the best

Square Boobs

The shape and position of your implants can be somewhat distorted after augmentation.  The muscles contract and pull the implants up in a high position and against your chest wall.  This can make the breasts look high and boxy. As the muscles relax the implants will settle into position and the shape should take on a rounder appearance.  

Follow-up with your plastic surgeon as he/she will be best able to tell if anything is out of the ordinary.

Jeff T. Healy, MD
Oahu Island Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling

Thank you for your question. You are still very early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. The implants may swell asymmetrically, but usually settle evenly. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Why Do My New Boobs Look Square & More Full On Top?

After a breast augmentation and/or breast augmentation with breast lift, especially in the sub muscular position, the fluid (whether saline or silicone) is usually pushed to the top of the implant, therefore giving a greater fullness on top rather than the bottom.  This increased fullness on top is a temporary malpositioning of the fluid within the implant itself from muscle and skin pressure upward.

As the skin and muscle stretch out, there is a process facilitated by gravity known as "drop and fluff".  I believe this process is not one of implants moving down but fluid in the implants migrating downward with gravity and often with the help of an ace wrap or bando over the upper quadrant of the implant.

As for squareness at the bottom of the implant, one often sees this early after a standard breast lift before the implant has moved down in the middle of the breast lift, giving a more rounded bottom.  However, I have never personally seen a square looking breast after just a regular breast augmentation, and therefore I find myself unable to answer that portion of your question.

At this point, I recommend you pose this question to your personal plastic surgeon who I am sure can explain your early post surgical breast appearance.

Fullness at upper pole after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  Yes, it's normal to look fuller on top or at upper pole early in the post op phase of surgery.  The implants will settle in place after several months and will look more natural at that point.

Chad Robbins, MD

Boobs Look Square

It's not possible to make square breast.  From the information you have shared, it sounds like you are in the early healing phase.  Allow time to heal as they will round out over time.  Follow up with your plastic surgeon so he can monitor your progress.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

? Square Boobs

Thanks for your question but it difficult to say much without pictures. I also don't know how far out you are from your surgery. If you just had the surgery then your breast may have somewhat of a weird shape for a few weeks/months. Things usually settle down nicely but it does take time. If you have ?'s or concerns then you should speak to your PS so he/she can hopefully alleviate your fears and reassure you that everything  is fine. Good luck.