How should my stomach feel 2 weeks after CoolSculpting?

I must admit, I've been reading to many negative reviews and googled too much. I've convinced myself that I may develop Paradoxical Adipose Hyperplasia. I know...it's too early to see results, and stop googling! But what should I feel like? I had a large applicator on lower abdomen and the small applicator on top. Right now I'm hoping it's just swelling, but my stomach is bigger than before. When I sit down I actually have a roll of fat that hangs over. My stomach feels firm...is this normal?

CoolSculpting the Stomach

What you are experiencing sounds to be within the normal scope for patients having recently undergone treatment of the abdomen. Give the procedure time to take effect. If you are still worried about it you can always call the practice and ask to be seen for a follow up appointment. They should be able to tell you if what you are experiencing is normal.

Coolsculpting and Abdomen NYC

Coolsculpting is one of the most popular procedures that I perform in my office and the abdomen is probably the most popular area.  You can definitely have swelling two weeks after the procedure and it all sounds normal.  If you are concerned you can return to your treating physician for examination.  Please keep us posted.  Best, Dr. Green

Paradoxical adipose hyperplasia, PAH following CoolSculpting

Dear Satymay,

Many patients have similar concerns!

CoolSculpting is tried and true but has its limitations. 
2 different effects occur on the fat and the surrounding tissue. 
1. Apoptosis is the discovered effect causing the non-surgical permanent fat cell loss. Fat cells are more sensitive to low temperatures and stimulates the DNA to destroy the affected cells.
2.Inflammation is the body's response to injury. Initially, there is swelling and increased blood flow called hyperemia.The healing tissue then forms collagen  and the injured tissues.

At this time you are experiencing the inflammatory effects early in the healing process.

When the fat cells are going through apoptosis, there is a much less than 1% chance when the cell grows instead of dies. This is PH or paradoxical (adipose) hyperplasia and is its firmest at 3 months.

It is too early to be concerned. You may wish to try:
  1. a fitted compression garment over the swollen area and 
  2. daily lymphatic style massage,
  3. Revisit your CS specialist to monitor the swelling. 

I hope this helps. All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

2 weeks after coolsculpting

It is normal to have significant swelling of the abdomen after treatment with coolsculpting. The swelling is most significant for the first 2 weeks and then it starts to subside. The earliest sign of success is usually about a month from the treatment and continues to improve for 3 months.

I hope this helps,
Dr. Quenby Erickson

Thank you for your question. The symptoms you are describing are normal with CoolSculpting. If you are concerned, it is always best to speak with your chosen provider. An in-person assessment is always best. 

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

You Likely Have Normal Swelling

Thank you for your question. Paradoxical adipose hyperplasia (PAH) is extremely rare, and its onset takes a few months. At this point in your healing process, what you're experiencing is swelling — and that's normal. After a CoolSculpting treatment, swelling should begin to subside right around 2 weeks after treatment (i.e., any day now). It will take about 1 month for your results to be more defined, and the full effects won't be present for 3 months. However, if your swelling continues to worsen in the weeks ahead rather than improve, I would alert your surgeon. Best of luck!

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS