Hydroquinone 4% cream after fraxel for asians. How should I use it?

I just got my first fraxel treatment. I was prescribed with hydroquinone 4% cream. I remember my technician telling me i should apply this ALL over my face except for around the lips and eyes because i am asian (since asians have different kind of skin type). Is this true? A lot of the general reviews seem to say you are suppose to apply it only on the dark spots. Im confused...

Asian skin and hydroquinones

Asian skin is very delicate.  I am not sure if your dermatologist was performing Fraxel for your acne scars or for hyperpigmentation.  Some dermatologists recommend using hydroquinones immediately after Fraxel is performed.  I would consult your treating physician for their specific recommendation.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience with Fraxel laser and Asian skin.

Fraxel and hydroquinone

It is possible to develop post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation after any laser treatment, including Fraxel, especially if you have any sun exposure and have a darker complexion.  Daily sun protection and hydroquinone on all treated areas can prevent the hyperpigmentation.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Apply 4% HQ all over, not just spots

you don't want hyperpigmentation anywhere on your face so you should apply it all over once a day. A little goes a long way. Expect at least four treatments and one needs to treat asian skin gently to minimize the chance of post inflammatory changes (PIH). Be patient....it will take awhile to get to the desired endpoint most likely. An overagressive approach to your type skin can backfire. 
   If you have questions, the MD writing the HQ prescription should be there for you......

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon