Will cheek implants start to look unnatural as I age? (Photo)

I am interested in getting cheek implants for a chiseled look and feel like this would balance my face, but have concerns that as I age my skin will sag causing a "shelf" like appearance where the implant is. Is this common or even happens? If so, what options would I have besides fillers for a chiseled look? Thank you for your time and responses :)

Cheek Implants

In certain patients with thin faces cheek implants may eventually develop 'show' if enough facial fat atrophy and sag occurs. But in your ethnicity with thicker tissues this is not an issue. The issue you have is a reverse one...with thicker tissues can cheek implants really create a more chiseled look.

Chiseled look

Good question.   You are correct that some cheek implants may become more visible as time passes.  The visibility issue is not predictable.  Cheek implants come in different shapes and sizes, some are better in avoiding this issue. In your case you may consider buccal fat removal to decrease the fullness you have below the cheek area ( cheek area to the side of the mouth).   There are other things you can discuss with your surgeon in detail to move in the direction you desire without looking like you had something done.

George Orloff, MD, FACS
Burbank Plastic Surgeon

Cheek Augmentation With Fillers, Fat, Sculptra, Implants

Cheek implants look great if done by an expert, but so do fillers.  Both do not affect how the face sags, if anything they hold it up longer as you age.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Will Cheek Implants Look Unnatural as I Age?

As long as he implants are the right size and shape and properly placed they will look natural the rest of your life. Consult with an experienced surgeon so your cheeks look good now and always.

Cheek implants for flat maxilla and cheek profile

Cheek implants are not designed to give a" chiseled look", rather they are performed to augment a flat cheek profile. Cheek implants are manufactured in a large variety of sizes and shapes, are inserted under a brief general anesthetic through an intra-oral approach. For more information and many examples, please see link and the video below

Will cheek implants start to look unnatural as I age?

Hi, that's a great question.  I have performed mnay cheek augmentations, using dermal fillers or cheek implants, for over 30 years.  Cheek implants are placed under the covering of the cheek bone and are notaffected by aging.  They will not fall, drop, sag or shift.

From the photo, your cheeks are flat, with the left more flat than the right.  There is some excess fat in front and below the cheeks that is more promounced on the right side.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, male faces look ruggedly handsome when there is angularity in the cheeks, chin and mandibular angles.  Cheek augmentation with either a dermal filler or cheek implants (for a permanent enhancement) will add angularity to the cheeks.  Mandibular angle augmentation with a dermal filler (jaw implants IMHO have too many unwanted side effects) will add volume, angularity and flare to the jaw line.

Hope this helps.

Cheek implants or not?

You will not end up with an unnatural look if you see a very experienced cheek implant surgeon. They should be not too large and appropriate sizing for your face.