500g Breast Reduction - What Size Will I Be?

I'm 42yrs 5'3" 213 lbs. I'm heavier than I look. I truely look about 175lb w/ clothes on. I wear 38-40 D-DD depends on bra. I've had 2 children and off/on fluctuating weight through the years. My breast are heavey and hang quite a bit. I've been walking, exercising with difficulty cause of breast. I care more about myself every sinse I knew I was getting this done. Ins says the dr has to take 500g. He's NOT having to do lipo on the sides. About what size will I be lg C, sm C, or lg B?

500g Breast Reduction - What Size Will I Be

500 gms each side from your so kindly photo posted IS NOT ENOUGH to get to a C cup. I would remove at least 700 to 800 gms per side to get to a C cup. Your doctor maybe meant that the 500 gms were the least he would remove. Please clarify with him. 

Breast Reduction/Medical Insurance/Cup Size.

Based on your picture I would say you are more in the DD range.  Removal of only 500 grams from you would not make you C cup or smaller in my opinion.  I never guarantee a cup size after breast reduction surgery.  The good thing is that your plastic surgeon HAS TO REMOVE A MINIMUM OF 500 GRAMS.  This means he or she can remove more than 500 grams to get you closer to your desired size as long as this does not increase the complication rate for your procedure.

Good Luck

Dr. ES

Cup Size after 500gr Reduction

It is always difficult to accurately predict post-op cup sizes because as you pointed out there are differences among bra manufacturers.  Given the information that you provided, my best guess is that you would be a C/D following a 500 gram reduction.  But again that is only a guess.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

Breast Reduction

Breast Reduction is a complicated procedure that is best done by those with the most training and experience. It is very difficult to determine the resultant cup size and shape based solely on the number of grams that are removed from your breast to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast reduction and lift surgeries, including different approaches, techniques and even fat transfer and implant choices if you are lacking superior breast fullness.
This is because several measurements—not to mention breast characteristics such as density—are needed to determine how much and where to remove breast tissue to meet your goals. Without knowing your existing breast shape, dimensions, and the density of your breast tissue, it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the same volume of breast tissue will weigh different amounts (measured in ounces or grams) in different people depending on its density. The existing base width of your breast and what you will ultimately want to look like will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume and weight that will need to be removed for the best result.

Please click on the link below for more information!

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Breast Size/Cup Size Difficult To Estimate

Unfortunately, there’s no way to estimate cup size based on the amount of tissue removed when patients undergo breast reduction surgery. This difficulty occurs for several reasons, including the poor correlation between breast volume and breast weight.
In addition, patients often speak in terms of cup size.Unfortunately, cup size is not always helpful because manufacturers of bras label their products differently and women don’t wear their bras the same way.For many women their bra size becomes their breast size, even though they may not be directly related.
One of the most important decisions facing breast reduction patients is the final size of their breasts.Most patients are striving for harmony, balance and proportion with the surrounding anatomic structures.In other words, it’s important that their breasts fit their bodies regardless of cup size.
For these reasons, there’s probably no ideal cup size for any particular patient.The cup size chosen is the one that fits their body and meets their aesthetic goals.

Bra Size Unpredictable After Surgery

The bra manufacturers have no standards for determining bra size.  It varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.  It would appear a 500-700 gram reduction would keep your breasts in proportion to the rest of your body.  Make sure you talk with your PS before the operation so he/she has an idea what size you are desiring after the surgery.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

Unfortunately, no one can give you a precise answer to your question.

It is however, very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I have found the use of pictures very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible ( although no system is 100% accurate).

Breast reduction 500 gms

Typically most insurance companies require a minimum of 500 gms per breast to be removed to trigger coverage. With the average cup ranging from 150-200 cc, it is probable that this will produce a 2-3 cup reduction in size. However, this is only an estimate

Impossible to know resultant bra size after breast reduction

Hi there-

Please understand that anyone who suggests they can tell you what bra size you will use after ANY operation is only providing an educated guess at best.

Because of many variables, and especially because it is not possible to know where you like to shop or how you prefer your bras to fit, there is simply no way to be able to responsibly predict a bra size for you.

You should focus on achieving improvement in your symptoms, and the appearance you desire.

Breast size after breast reduction

It is impossible to predict with complete accuracy what size the breasts will be after surgery.  However, in my experience, for every 200 cc or so, the breast will go down by one size.  Likewise, you would need much more than 500 cc removed from your breasts to end up with a "C."  Good luck with your surgery.

David Shafer, MD