How Long Does Swelling After Restylane Last?

I had Restylane put unto my cheeks two weeks ago now the right cheek is swollen under the eye and hurts two weeks later, what shall I do? I am going to call harley street today.

Typically 7-10 days

Swelling typically last 7-10 days.  If you are still experiencing pain contact your doctor.  It is best to see your physician and make them aware of the situation.

Typically 7-10 days

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Up to 5 days in rare cases...

It’s not unusual for patients to experience swelling immediately following Restylane injections. In some cases, swelling may even be asymmetric. In most cases, this swelling has resolved in 24 hours, but may persist for up to 3 to 5 days in rare cases.
Swelling following treatment with Restylane can be a major source of anxiety for cosmetic surgery patients. It’s important to remember that in most cases swelling resolves with the passage of time and the majority of patients are ultimately happy with their result.
A swollen cheek with significant pain two weeks following Restylane injection is definitely abnormal and should be evaluated immediately. This might represent a hematoma, seroma, or infection. Under these circumstances drainage or antibiotics may be necessary. If you have this type of problem following Restylane injections, it’s important to contact your physician as soon as possible. Your physician should be able to formulate a plan that addresses your concerns.

Up to 5 days in rare cases...

It may be normal, resolving swelling, but it is time for a f/u appt

When fillers are injected in the cheek area, particularly when close to the lower eyelid, swelling may persist longer than other areas of the face. You may have a resolving ecchymosis or bruise responsible for the asymmetry. Whatever the case you should make a follow-up appt with your provider, and he/she, after an exam, can give you a more precise answer.

John E. Gross, MD

John E. Gross, MD

See Your Physician

Good Day Melzy,

See your doc to make sure that you do not have an infection.  The pain and swelling after two weeks are most unusal following Restylane injections, and may be signs of an infection.  Good luck and please let us know how it goes.  Be well and send my regards to Harley Street.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

See Your Physician

Good Day Melzy,

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Restylane Treatment

Swelling after having Restylane injections is nothing unusual. On the contrary, it is actually quite common. In many cases, swelling may be experienced right after injection. It should be resolved on its own within 24 hours. However, it may also last for as long as 3 to 5 days.

With your case, if your cheek is swollen as well as in pain a couple of weeks after your Restylane treatment, you may take this as a sign to go and visit your plastic surgeon immediately. Unfortunately, with the amount of information you have provided for this question, I will not be able to pinpoint exactly what is wrong. You may need to undergo thorough evaluation to know exactly what is going on. Generally though, this could possibly represent seroma, hematoma, or some infection. As soon as thorough evaluation is done and completely assessment is done, your plastic surgeon should be able to formulate a proper plan of action for your concern to be addressed.

Swelling after Restylane Treatment

Restylane Injections

Swelling following Restylane injections is usually very minimal. However, some patients can experience mild swelling that typically resolves in 3 days. I would recommend contacting your doctor to schedule an exam, as well as have your questions answered.

Charles M. Boyd, MD
Birmingham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane Injections

Charles M. Boyd, MD
Birmingham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Restylane

Every patient heals and swells differently. But on average most patients experience swelling and some tenderness for 5 - 10 days. So now that it has been 2 weeks since your injections, I recommend you go in and see your doctor to make sure everything is ok. At this point the swelling should have gone down completely and the area around the injections should not still hurt. Good luck! 

Swelling after Restylane

Swelling after Restylane

Thank you for your question. I have noticed that Restylane and Restylane Silk tend to cause more swelling rather than other fillers. This is nothing that is super uncommon. Swelling may last up to a week. However, if you are concerned and still experiencing discomfort contact your doctor. Best of luck!

Dhaval M. Patel 
Double board certified 
Plastic surgeon
Hoffman Estates 
Barrington
Oakbrook 
Chicago

Swelling after Restylane

Dhaval M. Patel 
Double board certified 
Plastic surgeon
Hoffman Estates 
Barrington
Oakbrook 
Chicago

Treating Under Eye Bruising after Injections

In the future, the best way to minimize bruising -  especially for sensitive areas like lips or under the eyes, is to avoid medications such as aspirin, Ibuprofen ( Motrin and Advil) and non-steroidal anti-inflammatories such as Alleve or Naprosyn that might be taken for sports injuries . Other culprits of bleeding and bruising tendencies are green tea, flax seed oil, Omega -3s and alcohol or caffeine intake the day before your treatment!
Arnica oral tablets are an easy remedy to reduce the degree and length of time of bruising and can be taken 3 -5 days following the treatment.

#Restylanebruising   #avoidbruising   #treatmentsforbruising

About two weeks

At two weeks after your treatment, you should expect most of the swelling to have resolved itself by now. I would recommend you visit your injector to have this looked at. You shouldn’t feel as much pain and this could be a complication.

About two weeks