How to Find an Experienced Botox Injector?

How do you know if you are going to someone who is experienced in Botox injections besides asking how long they've been doing it? I'm nervous after hearing horror stories!

Doctor Answers 13

Botox Physicians...How Do I Find the Best?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi Kate,

Start with a board certified physician in one of the cosmetically oriented specialties (Plastic surgery, facial plastic surgery, ENT, dermatology, and opthalmo-plastic surgery).

Have a good look at the receptionist and staff. They should look natural. If they look like Jack Nicholson in "The Joker", or Cruella Deville, or Spock, try the next office on your list. One of the perks of working in a cosmetic physician's office is that Allergan will sponsor injections for the staff.

Another tip off is if you see that the office offers eye patches for sale in the waiting room, get out.

You can call Allergan and ask to speak to the local rep who should know which doctors in your area are the best injectors.

Wish you were in Los Angeles, then I could recommend this really great injector in Encino. Be well.

Dr. P

Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

See the physician only

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

As I am a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon it is my preference to tell you to see one of us. Botox isn't that difficult to use if you understand it pros and cons. Be sure that the person injecting is the actual Board Certified doctor and not a nurse of similar assistant. I do all of my own injections to prevent problems.

Botox injector

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A board certified Plastic surgeon or dermatologist with a busy cosmetic practice is a good place to start.

During the consultation, you will soon detect whether the degree of confidence, experience, attention to detail and artistic eye you are seeking are present or not. You will know without doubt when you are in the right office.

Once you find a top doctor who delivers great results, stick with that person. They will learn the nuances, minor asymmetries, areas of interest and trouble zones that each unique patient has.

Brent Moelleken, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 188 reviews

You might also like...

Botox experience

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is best to have treatment with a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon.  You can ask your friends or family doctor for a referral to someone whose results they like and whom they trust.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Need a Botox Injector - Ask a Friend

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

While it may be uncomfortable for some to talk about cosmetic procedures, you will probably save yourself a lot of time, headaches and money by asking a friend or relative if they have had any cosmetic treatments like Botox and if so, who performs their procedure.  

Once you have found a practice, if your injector does not make you feel comfortable, then you are probably at the wrong office.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD
Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Ask your friends

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The absolute best way to find an experienced injector is by word of mouth. Credentials, length of practice and advertising do not mean that a physician is knowledgeable or artistic.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Botox injector

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Checking credentials is important - e.g. seeing a dermatologist or plastic surgeon is preferable. Ensure the doctor is performing the procedure rather that e.g. a nurse injector.

Anatoli Freiman, MD
Toronto Dermatologist

There is an excellent resource for this.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear Kate25

Look at This is a website of physicians who have devoted a great deal of their practice to minimally invasive treatments with BOTOX and fillers. The site is by invitation only for qualified physicians and surgeons. Hopefully the site will list someone in your area.

Alternatively, it is a good idea to only see a core physician or surgeon: general plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, or dermatologist. Avoid practices where nurse Sally will be doing your treatment (generally in those offices that use nurses, the nurse does a better job than the doctor). Look for an office where the doctor will do your treatment. Be aware that there is no such thing as the independent practice of BOTOX by a nurse or aesthetician. We have a phenomena in California of medispas with no doctor on the premises. These are illegal operations.

BOTOX is an art form and you are looking for that artist. Yes it does make a world of difference.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Finding a good Botox injector

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Go to the website for Allergan or Botox and click on "find physician". The doctors are ranked by the amount they use, which reflects their experience in most cases.

Stephen Mandy, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon
4.3 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

Ask Questions

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You already have hinted in part of the answer, asking how long the physician has been doing the. I too feel that you are best off with a board certified dermatologist , plastic surgeon or opthamalogist who has an expertise in this area.

You might ask how many vials they order a week. If it's one vial a month, they do not have much experience.

Ironically, you might ask if they have EVER had a complication and if the doctor says no the physician is either lying to you or is inexperienced.

Keep in mind that, fortunately, the effects of even the worse job will last no more than three months.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.