What are the side view options for breast implants? (photos)

I am 5'2, 108 lbs, 34b and want light weight, squishy, natural looking breast implants that won't create a disgusting, unnatural looking gap in the middle or a nasty ripple on the. I am looking for the implant to have a tear drop fall, just like a real, perky breast would. I love the "side boob" thing & would like to have no ripples, and possibly conceal the incision in my armpit. Which implant is best for me?

Clearly convey your goals with your plastic surgeon to get the results you desire.

Thank you for your question and photos. The importance of clearly conveying the results you hope to achieve to your plastic surgeon before breast augmentation cannot be understated. Your plastic surgeon cannot tell you if your expectations are realistic or deliver results you’ll be happy with if he or she doesn’t truly understand what you want. With that said, your anatomy can limit what kind of change or improvement can be achieved, but your plastic surgeon can discuss this with you after an examination. If your main goals are to have soft-feeling breasts with no visible rippling, you will likely want to choose silicone implants which feel more like natural breast tissue and are less likely to be visible through the skin. Depending on the thickness and quality of your breast skin and tissue, you may be more prone to having visible implants. Discuss this with your plastic surgeon. For some women, fat transfer around the breast implants can be an ideal way to further camouflage and conceal them. Incision placement will also depend on your anatomy and can be discussed during your consultation.

Eugene Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Questions

You need to have a few consultations with ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons to understand the risks, benefits, and limitations of breast augmentation and breast implants.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breast implants are not light weight

Hi,
Thank you for your question and helpful photos.
I'm afraid breast implant manufacturers have yet to figure out how to make them lighter in weight. As you may already know, breast implants are heavy and do become displaced after time in the body. I have found that implants stay in place longer when they are small and completely behind the muscle for support. Once the muscle is cut (dual plane technique) or they are placed above the muscle, implants have a tendency to displace laterally which causes 'the unnatural looking gap in the middle'. Ripples are usually common in women who are extremely thin or have no natural breast tissue to cover the implant.
Best wishes and kind regards,

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

Dear Andreti24:

It looks like you will likely get a great result from breast augmentation. I think you would benefit from a breast augmentation with a dual plane technique with the Natrelle or Inspira silicone gel implants. In my dual plane technique, generally the upper 2/3 of your implant is under the muscle but lower third of your implant is above the muscle. I believe this helps to achieve a natural tear-drop shaped breast in many different body types.

In terms of picking the right implants to achieve your goals, generally speaking, I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1. Dimensional planning
2. Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

What are the side view options for breast implants?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  I would recommend looking at the Allergan 410 anatomic implants to best meet your needs and achieve your desired results.  This implant uses a more cohesive silicone gel cutting down on the risk of rippling and wrinkling while preserving the tear drop fall that you are interested in.  Since pocket creation is critical to placement I would favor using a breast crease incision for your augmentation. Hope this helps and be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon.

Size selection

Thanks for your question. A silicone gel implant (Memory Gel) is your best bet in my opinion. The Memory Shape implant has a firmer feel and I'm not sure you would be as happy. You have a great shape and would not need a lot of volume to get the result you are after. Using an IMF incision rather than an axillary approach is a much better approach. I think you would really benefit from consulting with someone who has the Vectra 3D system to show simulations. Find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area who is an ASAPS member. The Smart Beauty Guide is an excellent resource. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Side boob options with a BA

You appear to have a very nice breast shape and volume for a good result.  I would recommend a silicone implant to reduce the appearance of rippling and feel more natural.  I would also recommend a breast fold incision vs a axillary incision.  The inframammary crease scar heals well, technically safer to perform, and gives consistent longterm results.  I've seen too many axillary scars that have scarred poorly, or more often have implant malposition issues because of the technical challenges of the technique.  If you insist in axillary incision, then find a surgeon who does them all day, every day, for the best result.  I don't do axillary augmentations for the reasons above, and many more.  

Please make an in-person consultation with a ABPS board certified PS to evaluate you and discuss your options.

Hope that helps and best wishes!
Dr. Morales
ABPS Board Certified
Houston, Tx

Rolando Morales Jr, MD

The implants you want don't exist

To clarify my above statement, you are asking too much of the implants and plus you say contradictory things.  For example, you say you want an implant that doesn't ripple (everyone does).  However, it is important to realize that anything that has fluid motion and is soft will possibly ripple.  So, even the best silicone implants have a chance of rippling.  Only solid things don't ripple.   You may not necessarily see the ripples, but you will possibly feel them.  You say you want a "tear drop fall", but then say you want "perky breasts".  Perky breasts indicate you want upper breast fullness which goes against a "tear drop fall" (which in my opinion looks like an older woman's breasts). All the photos you have shown of your desired look have round implants with a slight bit of "sagginess" (which looks very natural, but this is created by the woman's skin envelope and not the implant).  You also state that you want to go through the underarm.  This is another reason why you should opt for round implants.  Putting anatomic(or "tear-drop shaped") implants through the underarm is technically challenging and their is high chance that the axis of the 2 implants won't be the same so one will look crooked.  

Try Gummy Bear Implants

It sounds like you know exactly what you are looking for and that is a great start for this process. I would suggest looking into the gummy bear implant. Woman at my practice have been loving the natural looking shape and feel of the implants. They are also fold and ripple resistant and leak proof. The link below will take you to a blog post from our office all about the gummy bear implant. Good luck!

• Thank you for the question. I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery, assuming you choose your plastic surgeon carefully and communicate your goals carefully as well.  
  • Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.
  • Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
  • 1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
  • 2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
  • In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural looking” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
  • Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
  • 3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
  • I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.