Are 460cc XHP considered a large implant? I'm 5'5, 130lb & a 32b.

Is this implant too large?

In general, a 460 mL implant is considered a moderate implant, right in the middle. However, the extra high profile is aggressive and can be quite projecting, especially for your frame. The best way to choose an implant is based on your tissue dimensions, and an open and honest discussion with your board certified plastic surgeon. Best of luck to you on this exciting endeavor. 

Is 460cc a large implant?

Thank you for your question.  I would consider a 460cc UHP on the larger side. This being said implant size and style really depends upon the base diameter or the width of your breasts. This is going to be fairly large, but if your surgeon is trying to use a slightly larger implant to account for some droop and your base diameter can accommodate this implant, it may be good for you. Make sure you are seeing a board certified plastic surgeon and asking good questions. Good luck

Implant Sizing

Although technically in the middle of the range, 460 cc is still big. More important than the implant size is your anatomic capacity, which will determine what size is appropriate. Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Nope

The implant actual size has less to do with the actual implant and more to do with you. If you have a 14 cm base width and no breast tissue, they may not look real but they won't be big whereas if you are already a D cup, they may be big to most. 

Are 460cc XHP considered a large implant?

• Thank you for the question. Everything is relative: a 460 cc breast implant may be large for a petite patient.  On the other hand, it may be too small for a larger patient.  There are many variables involved when it comes to selection of appropriate breast implant for a specific patient.
  • Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.
  • Given your concerns/questions, I would suggest that you spend additional time with your plastic surgeon, preferably prior to the day of surgery discussing these concerns/questions. Make sure that you are both the same page when it comes to goals and expectations. 
  • Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
  • 1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
  • 2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
  • In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
  • Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
  • 3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
  • I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with. 

Implant Size

Hello and thank you for your question. Implant size is different for each individual. Even what a physician may feel is large might not feel large to the patient. That is a personal decision. However, there are measurements that we take during a breast consultation that we then use to determine what implant would work best for you depending on how large you want to be. So it is best to follow up with a board certified plastic surgeon so together you can decide how to proceed. 
Good luck to you!

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS

460 XHP breast implant?

In my practice a 460 mL implant is noticeably above average size.  Extra high profile is also very aggressive and less likely to create a natural look if that is what you seek.  Each patient's body and breast requires different volumes to achieve a goal and I always point out that there dangers of inserting too large an implant for the tissue that you have.  Please watch the video above for further discussion and best of luck to you.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

What is a large implant

The extra high profile style of your implant may create a larger, rounder look compared to some of the other styles. Only you and your plastic surgeon can decide what is a "large" implant. Based on your height and weight, it seems a bit large, but without photos I can't really make any recommendations. Ask your surgeon to be re-evaluated if you are not sure.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Are 460cc XHP considered a large implant? I'm 5'5, 130lb & a 32B.

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: Your individual anatomy, desired outcome, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing sit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

There are no manufacturers' standards for cup sizing in the bra industry. The cups of a 32 D-D+ and a 38 D-D+ are significantly different. Cup size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and even within styles from any particular manufacturer. There is also no direct correlation between an implant size or shape and resultant cup size.

Most plastic surgeons would consider a 460ccXHP implant a large implant.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that your plastic surgeon be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon