Is it safe to remain on oxycodone when having a boob job done?

I have a list of medications to stop before the surgery and I have been on this pain medication for years due to a severe back injury.

Pain medication

Hi, sumofme, You can continue to take your pain medication, oxycodone.  However, please let your plastic surgeon be aware of your current medication so that he/she can prescribe you appropriate pain medication for your surgery.  In addition, you should also talk with your pain management physician and let him/her be aware of your upcoming surgery.  Your pain management physician can guide you on pain control post-operatively as well.Good luck with your surgery and recovery.

Will Medications Need to be Stopped Before Surgery

This is a great question! Thank you for asking it so that you and others can benefit from knowing that medication does not prohibit you from having surgery, but it is something that is very important to share with your surgeon so that they can give you the right information about the medications you take (whether prescribed or non-prescribed) so that you are kept safe before, during and after your surgery!We commend you for asking a question that many patients shy away from due to embarrassment or fear of what others may think. Oxycodone and other pain medications are under high scrutiny at this time because there are cases of abuse, and this makes it difficult for those who rely on them for effective pain management. You've avoided a very dangerous situation of not informing your doctor...a situation which could put your safety in jeopardy if they were not aware of it.
Some medications can safely be stopped before surgery, others cannot. Some need to be, and others do not. It is critical to share all drugs, medications and over-the-counter products you use so that you can take the appropriate steps.  Oxycodone, when prescribed in a situation like yours, is one that your doctor would most probably have you continue because it is one that you do not want to stop abruptly. Knowing that you are on it will help your surgeon and the anesthesiologist to administer your anesthesia appropriately. It will also help them know what type of post-operative medications to prescribe so that any pain you experience is handled well.

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. Please do not stop any meds suddenly without talking to your physician. Please discuss this with your PS and he may talk to your pain management doctor and make the decision. In our practice If I do surgery to patients on pain meds, I let pain management to manage pain after surgery and we do not prescribe pain meds  from our office.

Stop medications before surgery

Thank you for your question.If you have been on oxycodone for several years, it's best not to stop that. You may experience withdrawal symptoms. You should ask your surgeon if you need to stop this, but I highly doubt this is the case. The medications that make you bleed may be the main medications your surgeons want you to quit. Best of luck to you.

Oxycodone - stop before surgery?

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.
  • Do not stop your oxycodone without clearance from your surgeon and the doctor prescribing it.
  • Stopping a narcotic suddenly can cause withdrawals (shaking and severe abdominal pain.)
  • The medicines to stop before surgery are usually those that might make you bleed -
  • Oxycodone is not one of them.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

You can still safely have surgery

Being on oxycodone for a chronic problem can affect how you react to the postoperative pain from breast surgery. You need to discuss with your plastic surgeon that you're taking the medication and what you're taking it for. Because you have been on oxycodone for a while, pain medication taken after breast surgery may not be as effective in controlling the pain and you may have to take a combination of medications.

Joseph M. Perlman, MD