Is every breast augmentation patient put on antibiotics after the procedure?

Antibiotics after breast augmentation surgery?

Thank you for a good question. Is quite clear that preoperative intravenous antibiotics are essential when placing a "foreign body" such as a breast implant but is less clear whether a course of antibiotics postoperatively provides additional help and risk reduction.  My practice however I always prescribe one week of oral antibiotics postoperatively since the stakes are high if an infection develops.  I would alter that if a patient had a history of allergies to oral antibiotics or other unfavorable reactions but in general I feel better safe than sorry.
Good luck with your procedure.  Discuss this with your plastic surgeon.
Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Thank you for your question. This is an important question to ask. I think the literature is solid on the fact that everyone should receive pre-op antibiotics before surgery. As for antibiotics after surgery, while it is not as supported by literature, some surgeons choose to go ahead and put patients on antibiotics and I do not think of this as "wrong" per se, but I do not think of it as required either.Hope this helps!

Antibiotic use post-op

is the preference of your surgeon... and even if not what most people do, post-op antibiotics bring little risk.  I would consider it if you were MRSA positive and we were just trying to throw everything at it.

Curtis Wong, MD

It's a good question.Every surgeon has their own protocol after surgery. Most surgeons give IV antibiotics prior to surgery, and use antibiotic irrigation during the procedure. Patients do not require antibiotics after surgery, but some surgeons do prefer to give their patients a course of antibiotics.If you have a preference one way or the other, it's important that you discuss this with your surgeon.

Breast Augmentation and Antibiotics

In breast augmentation surgery only one dose of antibiotics given about 1/2 hour prior to surgery should be given.  The medical literature is very clear about this.  Oral antibiotics given after surgery are not required and may even be detrimental.  I hope that helps.Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Antibiotics after breast augmentation.

Thank you for your question.This is mostly surgeon dependent.  The scientific literature would suggest that only a preoperative dose of intravenous antibiotics is needed.  Many surgeons will also wash the implants and pocket with antibiotic solution prior to insertion and use insertion devices such as a Keller funnel (no financial interest in the device).  Infection after a primary breast augmentation is a rare event. The more common event that plastic surgeons are wanting to prevent is capsular contracture which current theories suggest could be related to subclinical bacterial colonization on the implant surface. Capsular contracture prevention would be the most common reason why a surgeon might give post operative antibiotics.  The choice would also be influenced by the incision placement as inframammary, periareolar, and axillary incisions have different rates of capsular contracture and infection.I would recommend seeking a board certified plastic surgeon and during the consultation ask why they give or do not give antibiotics.Best Dr. L

Andre Levesque, MD

Some surgeons do that, most do not. The scientific literature is quite clear that is of no significant value. Most of us use IV antibiotics just before the surgery starts, which has been proven effective in reducing infections. The infection rate in breast augmentation is less than 1%.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Antibiotics after BA

Thanks for your question.  Every patient will receive IV antibiotics right before surgery but not every patient is placed on antibiotics after surgery.  Every surgeon is different on the duration of antibiotics that are prescribed. 

Breast augmentation - does every woman get antibiotics after surgery?

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.
  • The short answer is 'no.'
  • Most breast augmentation patients will get a dose of antibiotics just before surgery.
  • This reduces the risk of infection.
  • I do not give antibiotics after surgery - the evidence shows this does not reduce the risk of infection.
  • But I have colleagues who do keep women on antibiotics for a week afterwards.
  • The risk of infection- without any antibiotics - is really low so I don't see the advantage of them after surgery unless there is a specific reason to use them, e.g. a previously infected implant.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS