How many CCs do I need to go from a 36C to a 36DD? (photo)

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

It depends on your chest wall measurements and existing breast tissue as implant size does not accurately correlate to a bra size.  It also depends on the brand and style of bra you wear as size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Implant sizing

You ask a very common question that is difficult to answer. Breast implant sizing is one of the most controversial and important questions to discuss with your plastic surgeon. Although a discussion of size may begin with a discussion of bra cup size: the implants are manufactured in CC sizes (not cup size). I prefer patients to select a photo that represents the size of the desired breast after surgery, (in your case a photo of a model or post-op patient with DD breasts). In the operating room, using a temporary sizer implant I will determine the CC size of the final implant that will best achieve the result in the photo you selected. Good luck with your surgery.  

Bruce K. Smith, MD

Desired breast size

Very common question, but very complex answer.  biggest issue is that all bras are created differently in style and size.  They typically say you are bigger than you really are.  So if you are truly a C cup, it probably won't take much to get you to a DD.  Implant profile is also important. A fuller implant will tend to fill out bras more than a standard implant.  Best to visit with a plastic surgeon to get an exam, and review your options in implants and sizes.  

Hope that helps and best wishes!

Dr. Morales

ABPS Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Houston, Tx

Rolando Morales Jr, MD

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Implant size

Thank you for your question. I typically explain to my patients that we do not guarantee specific cups size after surgery. This is due to the fact that everywhere you go will size you differently. It typically takes around 150-200cc to jump a cup size. 

Considering breast augmentation

Hi,

Thank you for your question. Before considering a breast augmentation it is important to determine if you will also need a breast lift. The picture you submitted is not a true frontal picture, therefore, the view is skewed. If your breasts are too low and you decide to have implants only, you may not like your results, as this will give you larger but lower breasts. Please consult with a Board Certified Plastic surgeon before moving forward. If you are wearing the correct sized bra; as a 36 every 200cc should give you an increase of one cup. Therefore, a 400cc implant will roughly give you a DD cup. 400cc implants are quite heavy and will push your breasts down further. Please  consider smaller implants to minimize the risks and complications associated with larger implants. 

Kind regards,

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Increase in Breast Size

While a 200cc increase in size would probably get you close to your goal, it's also important to choose the proper profile, or shape, of the implant. An in-person sizing process will also help define exactly what you want to achieve.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

C to DD

It would be really helpful to have a full consultation with breast measurements taken. Using this information, your plastic surgeon can help you chose the appropriate implants and the " look" you are going for and advise you on other adjunctive procedures to give you your desired look. There is no ideal correlation with volume of an implant and "cup size" due to many variables including the patient current breast volume and breast shape.

Kiran Polavarapu, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

High profile are taller and narrower implants when compared to moderate profile implants of the same volume.The decision is usually based on the patient breast dimensions, amount of breast that the patient can contribute to the projection and I also factor the patients desires. I try my best to also respect the skin quality and elasticity in order to prevent future drooping due to unnecessarily heavy implants.

over or under muscle doesn't dictate what size implant we can use.  The muscle coverage is helpful in very thin patients and seems to reduce capsular contracture according to some scientific studies. Under the breast tissue is the most natural feel and has a less chance of animation deformity when the pectoralis muscle contracts. In most instances only the top implant is covered by muscle and the reset of the implant ends up under the breast tissue.

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Breast Augmentation and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely. 

Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote possible. Please be mindful that the in person physical exam is the most important and could potentially alter your treatment plan.

How many CCs do I need to go from a 36C to a 36DD?

Breast implant volume does not have a direct correlation with bra cup size, and choosing the right implant is what you pay the expert to do so show your surgeon the look you want and after an exam the doctor will make the determination on implant size. Your photo indicates you are a great candidate for the surgery and should have a very good result.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD