Is mild hiking safe 3-4 weeks after breast augmentation?

Can I hike 3-4 weeks after a breast augmentation?

Hello and thank you for your question.

I would always defer to your surgeon's post-op instructions, however, in my practice, I am comfortable with patients easing back into a work-out routine at 3 weeks post op. Listen to your body. If anything hurts, stop. You will also likely tire more easily than you did before surgery, so make sure to take breaks when necessary. Now is not the time to really push yourself.

Dr. Vath

Hiking following Breast Augmentation

Thank you for this great question! Mild hiking at 3-4 weeks post-operative from a standard breast augmentation is perfectly fine. I typically will have my patients easing back into their regular exercise routine around 4 weeks post-operative with the understanding that with increased activity you may experience increased swelling. I encourage you to follow up with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon as his/her post-surgical preferences may vary. I hope you have found this information helpful and enjoy! 

Patrick Viscardi, MD
South Bend Plastic Surgeon

Hiking 3-4 weeks after breast augmentation - is it safe?

An easy hike would be fine 3-4 weeks after a typical breast augmentation. It may be wise to avoid carrying a pack and to avoid using your arms for any climbing.

Your plastic surgeon is the only who really knows the details of your procedure and your requirements for a safe recovery and so it's best to direct these questions to that individual.

Owen Reid, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Hiking after breast augmentation

Gentle hiking should be fine after 3-4 weeks post breast augmentation.  In general, activity that just uses the lower body should be fine one week or earlier after breast augmentation.

Aloha,

Shim Ching, MD

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to returning to specific activities. He/she will know exactly what was done, how you are progressing, and exactly what type of activities you are returning to. Having said that, depending on how you define "mild hiking", you should be fine at this point.

Generally, I suggest patients gradually ease back into the strenuous aerobic exercise 4 to 6 weeks postoperatively, assuming that they are doing well and there have been no complications. Lower body exercise can generally be resumed 2 weeks postoperatively. Use common sense, listen to your body, and gradually resume previous activity. In my practice, I ask patients to avoid contact and strenuous exercise involving the pectoralis major muscles ( such as push-ups, bench press, burpees, dancing on a pole…) for at least 3-6 months. 

Generally speaking, it will be important for you to return to activities in a very gradual/cautious fashion.  Again, "listen to your body" as you do so. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Post Op Activity

I typically advise my BBA patients that they can do cardio activity and lower body workouts at 3 weeks post op. I ask them to avoid strenuous upper body work until 6 weeks post. I recommend that you check with your Plastic Surgeon for their preferences.

All the best

Aloha,
Yes, 'mild hiking' should be safe 3-4 weeks after breast augmentation? I usually allow patients to start light exercise ~2 weeks after, so as long as you're not rock climbing or doing the 'Stairway to Heaven', you should be ok. Best to see your Dr before you go, just to be sure.
Mahalo, Dr D

Kevin Dieffenbach, MD
Oahu Island Plastic Surgeon

Is hiking safe?

Hello, thank you for your recent question !  Going for a mild hike is ok 3-4 weeks post op.  I have my patients return to little aerobic activities after 3 weeks with the exception of chest exercises for the next 3 months.  Best of luck and enjoy your hike!