Fine pink stretch marks on the side of my breast? What is causing this, is it normal and will it go away? (photos)

My surgery was Nov 6, 2015 and I recently started noticing fine pink lines gradually appearing on the side of my breast. I was initially about a B cup before and now I'm a small D 375 CC if I'm not mistaken. I also noticed I have some numbness around my breast especially my areola any insight?

Early Stretch marks

These are very early stretch marks.  You can help prevent their progression with early treatment.  I recommend the Endymed Intensive treatment.  I have seen excellent results with stretch marks. 

Breast augmentation

Striae or "stretchmarks" can occur and will not disappear on their own. However, there are creams that can help them appear less noticeable. Talk to your surgeon.

Kiran Polavarapu, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Skin and tissue changes after implants

Stretch marks that appear after surgery can occur from skin stretch to accommodate your implant or they can represent temporary color change in an old stretch mark due to increased blood flow in the skin. Either way, after 6-12 months they lighten in color.  Sometimes laser treatments can help them lighten faster than they would on their own, but unfortunately they never truly go away. 

As far as your numbness, when the surgeon makes room for your implant, some nerves are cut, stretched, or otherwise injured. Some people experience this more than others based on where there nerves travel through the tissue and how large your implant is relative to your body.

The text books say that nerves recover by about 6 weeks if the nerve was stretched or bruised rather than cut. If it was cut, improvement continues for a year or two. But, I can tell you based on my own personal experience that the textbook is not always right, and recovery may continue slowly for years, especially if your numbness involves any hypersensitivity at the same time.  

I think your results look great, and I hope you enjoy them. This is all just a part of recovery, and within 3-6 months most of it should be behind you. Best wishes. 

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Pink lines and breast numbness

Those lines that you are experiencing are stretch mark or "striae". Chances are if you look closely these were present before your operation, they were likely a different color. The pink color of these stretch marks will improve with time and go back to the baseline color from before your operation. As far as numbness of the nipple and breast is concerned this is a result of the underlying implant stretching the nerve. This usually gets better in 2-4 weeks but I tell patients this numbness can last up to 6 months. You still have about one month or so to go before the 6 months are up. If the numbness persists after 6 months it will likely be permanent. Massaging of the implant can help with this.

Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation - small lines appearing on side of breast

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

The fine pink lines are stretch marks, caused by or made more noticeable from the expansion of your skin by the implant.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Red stria

The fine pink lines that you see postoperatively we call "stria" or stretch marks. Usually when the are red in the postoperative period they were there and more of a silver color preoperatively. The red color I believe comes from the increased blood flow through the skin secondary to the stretch of the underlying implant. Usually within a few months, the red color will go back to a more silver color and look like the skin that you had preoperatively. Numbness in the early postoperative phase of breast augmentation is quite common. Some of the nerves coming from the chest wall get bruised and then have an implant sitting on top of them making it difficult for the nerve to recover. In my patients, massage over the chest wall away from the implant has been helpful. Ask your plastic surgeon for their advice. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS