I want opinions to see if fraxel/deka laser treatment is right for me or should I consider fillers on my cheeks? (Photo)

I am interested in the fraxel/deka laser for my cheeks. However, I am concerned because I am from middle eastern background and I have a lot of yellow pigment. I am also interested in knowing more about fillers such as voluma (which I believe lasts up to 2 years) and whether that would be a better option to help with the appearance of my atrophic scars.

Fraxel and Filler For Cheeks

Thanks for your question and the first thing that we all recommend is that you have a consultation with a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon, someone skilled in lasers and someone who has a good grasp of ethnic skin and skin of color. A variety of lasers and energy based systems can be used here.

There are now non-ablative fractional lasers that work over time, usually 4-6 treatments in 4-6 months to improve scars with minimal downtime. There are ablative fractional devices like the ones you are asking about that usually work in 1-2 visits but can have downtime lasting up to a week or so. And now we have RF fractional devices and RF microneedling devices that work really well for scars with less downtime and because they are RF are colorblind and can be used on all skin types.

So find the right doctor in your area, and with proper skin care, these scars can be handled without much difficulty.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne Scarring Treatments

Hello, Laser treatments can work wonders for acne scarring. Based on your response of being of Middle Eastern descent, it is important that your doctor have the proper training to treat ethnic skin, as well as have the best machines to do so. I recommend you schedule a consultation with a Board Certified Dermatologist with experience in laser resurfacing for acne scars.

David Goldberg, MD

Acne Scar Treatments

You really need an in person evaluation for treatment of these scars.  A combination of laser and fillers would likely do very well for you.  Co2 is still the gold standard treatment if performed by a well trained physician, someone who is an expert in this type of treatment.  TCA cross or nonablative lasers like fraxel can help as well, but take many more treatments.  Often subcision or surgical removal do very well also.  I suggest seeking an expert for treatment.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Scars and best treatment

You asked a very good question. Based on the small photos that you showed I would suggest EMatrix would probably be the best treatment for your acne scars and skin type. EMatrix is " color blind" and can be treated for every skin type. To help plump up the skin Voluma or Sculptra would also help which can last up to two years in duration. For the best results please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with treating acne scars. 

Michele S. Green, MD

For darker skin types with scarring, the Infini is the way to go

The Infini is very safe on ethnic skin and is great for acne scars. It is deep focused RF. I have over 500 cases, with several darker skin types without complications. The correct depths need to be followed so that the operator is deep to the pigmentation. Other deep RF used needles that aren't insulated,  and this is not as safe in dark skin types. See my video and article. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD