Sharp pain on left side of breast started 3 days ago, have had implants in for 3 years. Any suggestions?

I had implants put in about 3 years ago and within the last 3 days I've developed what feels to me like nerve pain. They are gummy bear silicone, and sub muscular. I feel no lumps or hardness at all. I am hoping it will just subside on its own, but it is very painful and hurts more everytime I take a breathe. Not sure how long I can tough this out. Any suggestions?

Breast Pain

Thank you for your question. This could be related to muscle strain, cysts, many different things. I recommend that you contact your surgeon for advice.

All the best

Breast Pain

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear about the discomfort you are experiencing.  My best advice would be to follow up with your operating board certified plastic surgeon for a physical exam.  It is possible the discomfort you are feeling is consequence of some physical activity that you might not even be aware of, however, it is important to have this persistent pain evaluated in person to rule out anything more sinister.  Please follow up with your plastic surgeon and potentially your primary care physician as well.  Best of luck.

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Pain after breast augmentation

This far out from surgery it mostly likely is related to muscle, nerve, or the capsule.  I wouldn't recommend toughing it out though.  I would go see your surgeon.  They can guide you from there after evaluating you.  Best, ML

Pain in breast

This is something that needs to be evaluated by your surgeon.  It may be completely unrelated to the implant, such as with a muscle pull or lung issues, but it is best to have an examination to try to determine the cause.

Camille Cash, MD

Pain years after breast surgery

It is definitely time to see your plastic surgeon for an evaluation. Your problem may be scar tissue related, or due to something in the breast, chest wall or lung.  A thorough evaluation is in order.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Pain when breathing 3 years after breast implants

Thank you for asking about your breast implants.

• I am sorry to hear about this.
  • If you have sudden pain causing you trouble breathing you need to see your regular doctor without delay.
  • It is moe likely, from your description, to be a breathing problem such as pneumonia than an implant issue.
  • You can also schedule an appointment to see your plastic surgeon but that should not be your first step.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Painful breast implants

Painful breast implants are not uncommon. Even months or years after surgery, a small tear or pull in the scar tissue, or fluid build up around the implant can cause pain. Many times the pain will go away after a few days. Pain that does not go away and worsens over time sometimes leads patients to consider removing their implants or removing the scar tissue around the implants. Chest pain can be related to things other than your implants however. Pay close attention to your symptoms and make sure you get experienced medical help to stay safe. I hope this helps! Best wishes!

Angela Keen, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Follow up with your surgeon

Any changes in your breasts that persists more than a few days should be evaluated by your surgeon.  Most will resolve on their own but evaluation and reassurance is critical in maintaining great results.

Best Wishes,

nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Breast pain after Augmentation

Sorry to hear you are having this problem. A sharp, stabbing pain can signify a muscle or nerve issue. Sounds like capsular scarring around the implant that is unyielding and is stretching the deep nerves under the muscle.  Start with massage and warm heat to see if it will bring relief. At some point, you should visit the plastic surgeon who put them in, or schedule a consultation with another for an exam and possible imaging to rule out implant rupture.