Is dual plane and biplanar the same technique?

Dual Plane & Biplanar

Yes, The biplaner means the same as dual plane which means that the upper part of the implant is covered by muscle but the lower part of the implant is covered by breast tissue which is thicker in this area. This is the more modern technique of inserting implants, in the past implants were placed in front of the muscle or completely behind the muscle. 

Dual plane

Yes, dual plane and biplanar means the same, in that the implants are partially under the muscle and partially under the breast tissue. The lower part of the muscle is released, such that only the upper pole of the breast implant is covered by muscle. You may here it referred to as dual plane (biplanar) 1, 2 or 3 depending on the amount of muscles released.

Anthony Barabas, MBBS
Cambridge Plastic Surgeon

Is dual plane and biplanar breast augmentation the same technique?

Thank you for your question.  Yes dual plane and biplanar breast augmentation referred to the same technique.

Dual plane and biplanar

Dual plane and biplanar  technique are the same things.  Best of luck with your decision to move forward.

Dual plane / Biplanar

Yes they mean the same thing: the upper part of the implant is under the muscle whereas the lower part of the implant is covered by the breast glandular tissue.  

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Breast implants

These are very similar. Essentially, the pectoral muscle only covers the upper breast yet offers advantages.

An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon is recommended to discuss your options and expectations.

Is dual plane and biplanar the same technique

That is correct,the dual plane and biplanar description both relate to an implant that is placed partially behind the muscle and partially behind your breast tissue

Julio Garcia, MD

The issue here is semantics however there is a subtle difference between those techniques and partial subpectoral placement.  I am not certain of the real impact of the difference however with a dual plane technique the breast gland is detached from the front surface of the pectoral muscle partially up to or in some cases up to the level of the nipple to allegedly allow the implant to settle better and give the illusion of an uplifted nipple.  There may be some value to the subtle difference but like many things I think it has been exaggerated.  I personally have used partial subpectoral breast augmentation for nearly 30 years and have been very pleased with the overall results and natural appearance when used for appropriate cases.  If someone's nipples are too low then I think one needs to choose whether or not to proceed with a periareolar or Benelli uplift at the time of the procedure when the results of implant placement I nipple position can be determined.  I hope this is not to confusing to you and of course the most important thing is to find an ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon in whom you have confidence from his/her photographs of other patients.  Best wishes and most importantly enjoy your results,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Difference between dual plane and biplanar breast augmentation?

Thanks for your question.  As you suspected, the difference is most likely purely semantics.  Dual plane and biplanar are 2 terms for the same type of breast augmentation procedure.  It probably just depends on where your surgeon was trained as to which term they use regularly.  If you continue to have questions, please ask your plastic surgeon, or schedule a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon in you area.

Best wishes!

Dr. Brown

Daniel Brown, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Dual plane and biplanar are the same technique

As others have described this is a technique where the muscle is cut to either fit a very large implant or to hide an implant behind a saggy breast. I personally believe that this technique is a disservice to women because it weakens the only source of support to keep an implant in place. Women who have undergone this procedure often exhibit malposition and leteralization (implants fall to the sides of the chest) of the implants. Women often require expensive revisionary surgery where some type of alloderm is required to restore the implant back in place.  I hope this allows you to make a more informed decision. 

Best wishes and kind regards, 

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon