How long does Radiesse last if inserted under the eyes?

Removing Radiesse

Radiesse is near impossible to remove so it is best to choose Belotero or Juvederm for under the eyes.   Radiesse is excellent to use for the malar area and it is a real superstar to use for hand rejuvenation of the dorsal or back of hand.     My Best,  Dr Commons

HA fillers are better choice for the tear troughs and under eye hollows

Thank you for your Q.

Radiesse is not the preferred product for volumization of the under eyes. HA fillers are better.

Dr Karamanoukian

#Radiesse - under the eyes?

I do not inject Radiesse for the tear troughs.  It is too firm and long-lasting a product for that portion of the face which, with its thin skin, risks palpable and/or visible irregularities.

I would recommend Restylane, Juvederm or Belotero for the tear troughs.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of #RealSelf100

Radiesse is not typically used under the eyes

Radiesse is a very thick compound and can cause unsightly bumps if injected in the skin under they eyes.  I typically use Restylane or Juvederm in that area.

Radiesse is not for eyelids

Radiesse is a great filler for areas with thicker skin such as the cheeks, chin, smile lines,
temples and hands.
It is not indicated for the delicate under eye area where Hyaluronic  acid fillers are most beneficial.
These include Restylane Silk, Juvederm and  Belotero.
Good technique and experience  are very important in this area  to achieve smooth, natural looking results.

Dr. Pedy Ganchi
Village Plastic Surgery

Pedy Ganchi, MD
Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

I don't recommend Radiesse for the eyelids or eyelid bags.

I've had to treat a few patients referred to me for Radiesse granulomas (bumps) under the eyes that had been given to improve the tear troughs.  Complications aren't always going to happen when it is placed there, but it is a non-forgiving product if you don't like the result or develop an issue.  A steroid can be injected, which sometimes will help, but it may need surgical removal if it is unsightly and you don't want to wait for its removal.  I think Radiesse is otherwise an outstanding volumizer for most places on the face with the exception of the lips or lower eyelids.  The hyaluronic ("sugar-acid") fillers, such as Belotero or Restylane, I think are safer (can be reversed with an enzyme) and better suited for lower eyelid rejuvenation.  The hyaluronic acid fillers also last a long time in the lower eyelids.  I've seen results up to 2-3 years.

John R. Burroughs, MD
Colorado Springs Oculoplastic Surgeon

Restylane is the product of choice for tear troughs

Thank you for asking the question. Many products are available as fillers. When taking into account the length of duration, effectiveness, risks and cost, Restylane is the best product for first line treatment of tear troughs. It lasts about 6 months, is very effective, not likely to cause the "blue hue" and is cost is reasonable. I hope you find this helpful. Good luck.

If, by under the eyes, you mean in the thin skin of the lower eyelid then I would say radius should not be injected there. If you mean the deep hollow at the junction of the eyelid in the cheek just over the bone, Then it can be done there to a certain degree if place very deep. In that plane I have seen it last over a year and a half. A lot of fillers placed in that area will also last about a year and a half or longer in some patients. For the pure safety of the issue I would use of filler more like Restylane Lyft (used to be called Perlane) in that area.Good luck!

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Belotero Balance, Teosyal Redensity II, Restylane Silk For Under Eyes; NOT Radiesse

Radiesse should NOT be used under the eyes. It is an excellent volumizing filler for other areas of the face, such as the cheeks, but not for the very delicate, thin skin under the eyes. There it can leave lumps and bumps, and since it is calcium-based (rather than hyaluronic acid based), it cannot be dissolved with hyaluronidase should there be an undesirable result. 

Belotero Balance, which I use for this area in my Upper East Side Manhattan practice, has little to no tendency to result in the unwanted, bluish Tyndall Effect when injected superficially into the very delicate skin under the eyes. For similar reasons, Teosyal  Redensity II is my choice in my Israel satellite facility where a far greater number of regulatory agency approved fillers are available. Restylane Silk is still another choice of some physicians. 

The under eye region is not an area for novice physician injectors trained to treat simple smile lines.  So be sure to seek consultation and treatment by a board certified aesthetic physician with special expertise and experience in injecting this region, and be sure to ask to see his/her before and after photos.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Radiesse under eyes

I use Restylane in the lower lids and tear troughs. Radiesse is too thick for these areas. Restylane should last between 3-6 months although, for many of my patients, product remains den longer.