Delayed wound healing after breast lift (Photo)

It's been 8 weeks since I had revision implants and a lift. About 3 weeks ago I had surgical debridement of the wound and a vac dressing put on. My wound base has come up a lot and the wound is no longer deep but I'm concerned about the skin around the wound- it seems to be going a darker colour and inside the wound is a yellow stuff in it but has a lot of pink colour now- looks better then it did before. Does it look like a normal healing wound? I'm just a bit paranoid.

Delayed wound healing after breast lift

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. I will recommend you to visit your surgeon for a check up and to see if the wound can get some stitches, apply antibiotic cream to prevent any infections an keep your wound closed with sterilized gauze.

Delayed Wound Healing After Breast Lift

Basically, after a breast lift, the patient will go home in a bra or with only light dressings over the incision lines. Sutures are dissolvable but an ending knot, if present is removed within 1-2 weeks. Initial discomfort is easily controlled with oral medication. Light activities may be started in 7-10 days.

Now, since your wound/scar doesn't seem to be healing it would be best to visit your surgeon for a follow-up to check the area for a potential infection or any other problems with the healing process. Good luck!

Healing

The process can take a while but it looks like your wound is progressing in the right direction. Best of luck and follow closely with your surgeon.

Does my delayed aug/pexy wound look normal at 8 weeks?

Hello Me127,

Have you thought about giving your surgeon a call so he/she can evaluate the wound with you and answer your questions??  There is no point in being paranoid, just call your doctor and make an appointment.

With that said, delayed wounds heal from the sides to the center.  The skin margins may look darker and the center is usually pink and can bleed a little bit.  The "yellow" that people often describe as "pus" is usually a fibrin material that is part of the healing process.  Over time, the open area shrinks and the skin margins unite.

These wounds can become infected for a variety of reasons which is why frequent follow up is helpful, both for guiding your wound care and for clinical monitoring.  If the wound is infected, the yellow can be a sign of that infection as opposed to the healthy fibrin.

Communicating your concerns with your surgeon and following up with an appointment is the appropriate next step.

In good health,

Ellen Mahony, MD

Ellen A. Mahony, MD
Westport Plastic Surgeon