5 months post Breast Lift, areola's are turning dark and shedding skin, what could be happening? (photos)
Botox Price Calculator
What would you like to change?
Enter your info to request custom estimates from three local providers.
These providers will send a more accurate price based on your needs.
Doctor Answers 5
Breast lift - why have my areolae darkened 5 months later?
Thank you for asking about your breast lift.
- I am sorry you are disappointed with your breast lift -
- In the photo, things look very nice.
- The scars are still a little thick and red - these should improve on their own or you can try silicone tape, sold over the counter in pharmacies.
- Darkening can occur after surgery but usually is seen within weeks.
- But everyone heals differently - your natural healing may involve thickening and shedding of areolar skin periodically during the healing period, which can last as long as 18 months.
- Other explanations would be hormonal effects, e.g. from your birth control pill if you take one, from your monthly periods or from pregnancy.
- Your photo is reassuring in that you definitely do not have tissue necrosis.
- But given your concerns, it is reasonable to go back to your surgeon for an exam in another few weeks.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS
Post op recovery
I appreciate your question.
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic plastic surgery.
Best of luck!
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
5 months post Breast Lift, areola's are turning dark and shedding skin, what could be happening?
Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. I'm very sorry to hear that you're not happy with your surgery results, besides that they seems to look ok, I totally understand the areola issue, it is true that they have a red tone and pigmentation, will be better for you to get to your surgeon, I don't think it's necrosis, but oxygen treatments helps a lot during healing process and to prevent any necrosis too.
You might also like...
Post-Op Healing Period
Healing will go on for 2-3 months for the early
period. There may be some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences.
Sensation will be abnormal. Scars will be changing.
If my patients have concerns that something is unusual about their healing process, it is important for them to call the office and discuss these concerns or come in to be examined. Now, since it has been more than three months since your procedure it would be a good idea to take your concerns to your surgeon to make sure that healing is going well or if something needs to be done for revision.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.