Can the whole tattoo be removed COMPLETELY through picosure? Will it leave a scar or shadow? About how many sessions? (photo)

Tattoo Removal

Pico lasers are the most advanced technology. I utilize the PiQo4 laser which has 4 Pico wavelengths and the Picosure for a total of 5 Pico wavelengths. Certain colors respond best to certain wavelengths. The amount of treatments can vary based on several factors such as the location of your tattoo, how sharp the ink is, and how quickly your body eliminates the ink. Even with advanced lasers and multiple wavelengths complete removal is not always possible. I believe that tattoos are removed faster and safer with Pico lasers and there is less risk of scarring. I think it is important not only to seek the best technology but an experienced laser tattoo removal provider. Best wishes. 

Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

Can the whole tattoo be removed COMPLETELY?

Hello, thank you for your question and for including a photo. We can talk first about how a laser rids the body of unwanted ink.  The laser, regardless of the device is shattering the ink into tiny particles, that your body then absorbs. Since your body will be playing a part in the removal of the ink, it is impossible to guarantee COMPLETE removal. The latest technology in laser tattoo removal is pico-second technology. The PicoWay Laser (Candela/Syneron) uses photoacoustic impact/pressure waves rather than photothermal/heat.  This process has less heat, therefore it is more comfortable and the chances of hyperpigmentation are less.  The Pico-second pulse shatters the ink into even smaller particles, allowing the body to more easily absorb the ink. Each ink color will need to be treated with the appropriate wave length in order to be effective. Different colors are seen at different wavelengths. You should make sure you go to a board certified dermatology office for safest results.  With the PicoWay laser I would guesstimate between 7-10 treatments.

Good Luck!

Mark A. Blair, MD
Phoenix Dermatologic Surgeon