For eyebrow transplants - what if the hair from the back of your head is grey, will the eyebrows have to be constantly dyed?

My original hair color was dark brown..I am now mostly grey (although I dye it brown every 5 weeks). My thinning eyebrows are also salt and pepper. I have a very full head of hair, albeit grey. Would this process work for me?

Eyebrow transpant

The transpanted hair will have the same characteristics as the hair on the donor area. Therefore it will gray as the donor hair does. The good news is the hair in back of scalp is generally late to turn gray. In addition, if/when it does turn gray, they hair can be dyed or colored.

Lincoln Hair Restoration Surgeon

Eyebrow restoration

The donor area hair will contain the same genetics when it is transplanted in another region.  There is a phenomenon referred to as recipient area dominance where the transplanted follicles will adapt to their newly transplanted regions by growing longer or shorter, but their color will stay the same.  So if you obtain grafts that are grey, they will grow grey follicles and you would need to dye them to your liking. 

Baubac Hayatdavoudi, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Eyebrow transplants

The color of an eyebrow transplant will be the color of the hair from the source. That means that you will have to dye it if you don't like the gray color

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon