Can I remove static wrinkles from my forehead without the use of fillers?

I am 28 years old and I have noticable static creases that have appeared on my forehead in the last year. I've been told that botox alone will not fix static wrinkles, and that it is best to combine with fillers. However it is also my understanding that fillers cannot be used on the forehead as it is a high risk area. Are there other effective options available?

Forehead wrinkes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In your case combined usage of neuromodulating injections such as Botox and laser resurfacing (I use ErYAG either full field or fractional) should be addressing your concerns. Paired up with regular sunblock usage and maintenance / skin care should make those results even longer lasting. Good luck, Dr. Daniyar

Microneedling

I think microneedling is the solution for your concerns! You can combine this with peels to take care of static wrinkles and lines.

Samer Muala, MD
Phoenix Family Physician

Static Forehead Wrinkles

Thank you for your question.  I find that in patients of your age group (and speaking from my own personal experience as well!), expertly placed botox to target the frontalis muscle (which creates the dynamic forehead wrinkles) combined with a great skin regimen incorporating daily use of tretinoin can significantly improve if not reverse static forehead wrinkles.  Fillers CAN be used in the forehead but in younger patients, I always recommend starting with the above regimen as it is safer and quite effective.  Hope that helps, best of luck.

Leslie Kim, MD, MPH
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question.  At your young age consistent use of Botox to avoid muscle activation and wrinkle formation will likely result in slow improvement in the appearance of your creases without further treatment.  That said you can speed this improvement with a good skin care regimen, chemical peels, and dermal filler use.  Each injection brings with it risks, but if you see a specialist you can safely have filler placed into your creases. Hope this helps.

Treatments for wrinkles on the forehead

Thank you for your question fiifiitrixie. I understand your concern. Fillers are used to restore lost volume in and enhance the appearance of the face. It is difficult to make an assessment without photographs. However typically Botox is used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression such as the horizontal lines seen on the forehead when one raises the brows and the vertical lines seen between the brows when one frowns. Fillers can be placed here but there is an increased risk for irreversible blindness. For this reason I advise my patients against it. Depending on the person sometimes several rounds of Botox may be required for full results. Some people benefit from resurfacing treatments such as fractional CO2 laser.

Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations.  Good luck!