Hair Damage After Eyebrow Tattoo Removal?

I have had 2 treatments with Q-switched Nd:YAG -laser trying to remove my semi-permanent eyebrows. My eyebrow hair is growing back slowly and they're maybe a bit thinner than before. Is this temporary? Even though my first treatments haven't caused hair loss, is there a possibility that hair follicles will be damaged later after several treatments?

Tattoo Removal Treatment Affecting Hair Growth?

It is possible that with some lasers the treatment for tattoo removal will damage the follicles and the hair will grow more slowly and become less dense.  However, it is likely that the hair will start to grow again following the tattoo treatments.  Eventually, without the regular treatments that hair removal requires, it may grow back to its original state. “Dr. D”

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Very tricky to do this

The Q switched Nd:YAG laser targets pigment- both in your tattoo and in the melanin in your hair shaft.  Most hair that is not white or very blond with absorb some.  I have definitely seen permanent hair loss in treating a tattoo in a hair bearing area (on the leg).  I would proceed only with great caution to treat someone's eyebrow tattoo as there CAN be permanent thinning and/or loss of hair.  Although typically the hair does grow back with Nd:YAG laser sometimes it can be permanent- I know because I treated my own legs and the hair never grew back!!

Margo Weishar, MD
Philadelphia Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair loss with tattoo laser treatment

Hi, may I ask who you are seeing for your tattoo removal? I would hope its a board certified physician with specialized training in lasers (not just a weekend course). Most often this is a dermatologist. A lot of things can go wrong when doing lasers around the eye, including blindness.

In this case, it is most likely that your hair will grow back and the hair loss is most likely temporary. The Q-switched lasers are not typically used for permanent hair removal so hair usually grows back in those areas.

Omar Ibrahimi, MD, PhD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon