When is it okay to have my nipples pierced after a breast reduction?

I had my reduction on June 15th of this year so it's been 5 months now and I was wondering how long I should wait before having my nipples pierced. It's something I've always wanted to have done but I never liked how my breasts looked so I never did it. My surgery went great and I healed wonderfully with no problems at all. So my question is...how long should I wait?

Nipple piercing

You are probably ok to do so at this point if you are completely healed. It is always good to check with your surgeon first.

Nipple piercing

Thanks for your question. I would ask your PS but at 5 months postop you should be able to pierce the nipple. Glad it has all worked out for you. 

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Nipple Piercing after Breast Reduction

I'm glad to hear your reduction went well. To me, it's one of the most satisfying procedures to perform and hear about in terms of patient experiences in my practice. I'd give it 3 months and then proceed with piercing. Just enough time for any altered sensation to come back so that you can be aware of pain, a potential sign of infection after nipple piercing.

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure;  this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.  Your plastic surgeon will guide you when it comes to timing to proceed with nipple piercing;  in my practice, I would likely ask that you wait about 3-6 months. Make sure that whoever is doing this procedure for you is reputable and utilizes sterile technique. Best wishes for an outcome you will be very pleased with.