Does losing weight after a breast reduction change how your breasts look? What will my cup size be?

I just scheduled my breast reduction and i'm excited to be healed and start running again. Once i am able to work out again will my breasts start to sag again or look weird if i lose weight? Also, i am a DD/DDD right now. If i get 400-500 / 1-1.5 lb taken out of my breasts what cup size will i be afterward?

Weight loss after reduction

Weight loss after breast reduction can cause sagging, but unfortunately it’s difficult to say how much sagging will result. It all depends on how much weight you lose, your skin elasticity, and how your body responds to weight loss. However, with smaller breasts, your breasts won’t sag as fast.

Cup size varies depending on the bra you’re wearing, since there’s no size standardization amongst bra manufacturers.  Therefore, I can’t say for certain what size you’ll be after your surgery.

Breast reduction

If you lose a significant amount of weight after surgery, then it is possible that your breasts may get smaller as well.  

Losing Weight After Breast Reduction Surgery

It is easier for most women to lose weight after breast reduction surgery because it is much easier to exercise. However, if you were to lose say more than 20 pounds you may end up with loose sagging skin, but everyone is different. If possible it is best to get as close to your goal weight before surgery. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

There is no direct correlation between the amount of tissue removed and the ultimate cup size that a patient will wear after breast reduction surgery.  There is simply too much variability among bra cup manufactures to make it a useful metric when it comes to preoperative communication and/or post operative predictions.

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon (who you should choose very carefully). Most patients wish to achieve enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso. 

With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “proportionate” or “C or D cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. 

Once you have communicated your goals carefully, your plastic surgeon will be able to provide you with an estimation of how much tissue will need to be removed, in order to achieve your desired outcome.

Yes, significant (may be different from one patient to another) weight loss after breast reduction surgery can potentially lead to changes such as further decrease in breast size and/or "sagging".   Of course, there are many variables involved here and, depending on the specifics in your situation, your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to information, advice, and/or  predictions.

Best wishes with your breast reduction procedure; hopefully you will be very pleased with the outcome of the procedure performed.

Breast reduction

Good luck with the impending surgery.  Generally, you should go down to a large c/small d cup. Working out with not make your breasts sag. If you lose a significant amount of weight, you may need a lift. It's best when the weight loss is slow and progressive in terms of skin tightening,  

Response to logann 6

Hello!

Your breasts will continue to grow and shrink if you gain/ loose weight and in response to hormones etc. It is best to do a breast reduction when you are at a stable weight if you planning significant weight loss. Without pictures of your breasts  and bra size info e.g. 32, 34, 36,38, 40 etc etc its impossible to answer your approximate post reduction bra size. If you have lots of questions, I would recommend setting up a further pre op appointment or calling or emailing your board certified plastic surgeon before the procedure.  

Essie K. Yates, MD
Fort Lauderdale Physician