Does Cool Sculpting work as well to remove abdominal fat from 60 year old women as it does from women in their 30's or 40's?

I am a 60 year old female who is 5'7" and weighs 160 pounds. I have fairly large love handles and several inches of excess abdominal fat that does not seem to disappear with exercise and careful eating.  I was told by a plastic surgeon it does not.

CoolSculpting Results Age Related?

If you are a good candidate for the procedure (determined by having a consultation at a practice that has experience performing CoolSculpting), then you should achieve approximately 25% permanent fat reduction with each CoolSculpting application.  At your consultation, you should be told approximately how many applications/sessions will be required.  There are multiple different applicators for the treatment of abdominal fat, and an advanced CoolSculpting practice should have the CoolCore, CoolMax and CoolFit applicators in order to give you the best possible result since not every patient has the exact same abdominal shape. CoolSculpting results have not been reported to be age-dependent.

Washington Dermatologic Surgeon

Hi and thanks for your question. Coolsculpting works well on fat of any age. Make sure to visit a practice directed by a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who can examine you and provide the best treatment plan for your concerns. Good luck.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS, FICS
Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Consider Skin as Well as Fat

Generally speaking, a patient's overall health is far more important than his or her age when considering an aesthetic procedure. However, while CoolSculpting is certainly used with success on patients in their 60s, it's important to consider the role loose, hanging skin may be playing in the appearance of your abdomen. Because CoolSculpting is only meant for fat reduction, it may actually make lax skin look worse, and laxity is more common the older a person is. I recommend seeing a board-certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist who offers CoolSculpting. During your consultation, he or she can help you determine whether fat or skin is to blame for your love handles and work with you to develop an effective treatment plan.

Susan M. Stuart, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Coolsculpting and Age

As with anything else we are more concerned about your anatomy than your chronologic age. Coolsculpting will work on any fat. The most important thing is whether your skin can redrape. In your situation, I am sure you would be a fine candidate for coolsculpting your love handles. Your abdomen could work as well as long as the skin has not been stretched out from pregnancies.  If this is the case there are other options (tummy tuck). I would recommend you come in for a consult to be evaluated. An examination is simple and would determine if you are a candidate. Again, your age should not make a difference. Hope this helps.

Scott R. Brundage, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal Fat -- Coolsculpting versus VASER HI DEF

If you have many inches of weight loss and any loose skin, non invasive options are not best regardless of age.  You likely need a liposuction and tummy tuck procedure, or at least a surgical body shaping procedure. Coolsculpting should work equally if the right patient is chosen and the right fat is targeted.  Best, Dr. Emer.

CoolSculpting at Different Ages

CoolSculpting delivers similar fat reduction results across different age ranges, and good results do not seem to be age-dependent. One factor that age can impact is skin laxity. Some older patients may have diminished skin elasticity and may not achieve the same results as a younger cosmetic surgery patient with tighter skin. This means that the end result may look different, but an equivalent reduction in fat is achieved in each case.

Cool sculpting works for 60 year olds

In my experience, Cool sculpting works just as well for 60 year olds as for younger patients. I think it might even work better!

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

coolsculpting selectively freezes fat cells to induce programmed cell death. Many women over age 60 have been treated successfully with coolsculpting. You may benefit from an in person evaluation with a coolsculpting physician to see if you are a candidate.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting Knows No Age

We have treated patients ranging in age from 18-80 with CoolSculpting and have gotten fantastic results. But no matter your age, you have to be an appropriate candidate for the treatment. This will have to be determined during an in-person consultation and evaluation with an experienced CooSculpting provider. The main difference in older individuals is that the fat is usually accompanied by loose skin. If you have more loose skin than you do fat, then the treatment may not be appropriate for you. Hope this helps answer your question.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Coolsculpting At Age 60

YOmmamabenice Hello Fellow Michigander.  a complete consultation would be necessary to determine if zeltiq's coolsculpting is your best course of action.  Does the fat of a 20 yo, 40 yo, 60 yo all respond the same to coolscultpting.  simply, yes!  But what may not respond the same is your skin.  If you do not have good elasticity it may not bounce back like for a 20 yo.  Make sure the coolsculpting facility you choose:
  • has staff that has attended coolsculpting university.  they will know the best and latest protocols
  • the doctor is overseeing or performing the procedure
  • the doctor has the ability to also treat the abdominal skin for tightening
Good luck Dr B

Mark Berkowitz, MD
Sterling Heights Oculoplastic Surgeon