Is it safe to have CoolSculpting on the stomach?

I had severe ulcerative colitis 8 years ago, which has settled due to taking daily medication. Is it safe to have cool sculpt on the stomach, or is there a chance it could trigger a reaction to the treatment.

Thank you for your question. You should be fine to have CoolSculpting. However, if you are concerned, I would speak to your physician before undergoing the treatment. Regards, 

Coolsculpting and ulcerative colitis

There is no evidence that coolsculpting, which is a superficial non-invasive treatment for fat removal, has a deleterious effect on ulcerative colitis which I systemic problem.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting and Safety

There is no reason that ulcerative colitis would affect your ability to have coolsculpting.  But if you are concerned please speak to your physician.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Coolsculpting and Ulcerative Collitis

Coolsculpting is a great option available for non-invasive fat reduction of the abdomen.  The treatments involve cold-induced fat reduction.  Studies have shown that there is no systemic effect on laboratory abnormalities.  It is unlikely to trigger any reaction with Ulcerative Collitis; however, it is important to discuss all medical conditions, allergies, and medication prior to initiation of any treatment. 

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting on stomach after ulcerative colitis

A CoolSculpting treatment to the stomach (abdomen) would only have a lasting effect on reducing the superficial fat cells.  It would have no effect on the gastrointestinal tract so I would say it would be okay for you to have a treatment with your past history of ulcerative colitis.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting and ulcerative colitis

Hello, and thank-you for your question.

CoolSculpting is a great, FDA-approved treatment for fat reduction of the abdomen and flanks. It can be used safely for off-label treatment of the upper arms, inner/outer thighs, bra-strap area and above the knees. The advance cooling technology selectively targets and eliminates fat cells gently and gradually without affecting the surrounding tissue.Patients in our office have seen an average fat reduction of 20-25% with each treatment. Depending on the patient's body composition and outcome goals, it may take more than one treatment to achieve optimal results. It takes about 2-3 months to get a general idea of the final results. The results are long-lasting as long as you maintain a stable healthy lifestyle. Having a history of ulcerative colitis does not preclude treatment with CoolSculpting. I recommend scheduling a consultation to determine if your an ideal candidate for CoolSculpting

Best regards,

Andrew Lyos MD, FACS

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting

coolsculpting selectively freezes fat cells to induce programmed cell death. Having ulcerative colitis does not preclude you from having this treatment. Discuss your medical issues with your coolsculpting physician and together you can determine if this is the best treatment for you.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon