2 sessions done with a Q-switched ruby laser because black ink turned brown. Is hypopigmentation permanent? (photos)

My first laser session has been done with a Nd: yag-laser. As the black ink turned brown, my doctor used the ruby laser two times in order to remove the brown ink. Unfortunately I can already see some "ghosting" of my tattoo in the areas where the ink has already been removed. Is this a total loss of melanocytes? Is there a possibility that the skin will return to it's normal colour?

Hypopigmentation after Laser Tattoo removal

Thanks for your question. Transient hypopigmentation in the course of laser tattoo removal can certainly occur and it is rarely permanent. Usually over the course of a couple of months, with a little bit of sun exposure (do not burn though!) the melanocytes in the area will recover and the skin returns to normal pigmentation.
Lisa Vuich, MD

Nashua Physician