Why does my forehead Botox last only 1 month?

I have been injected with botox for about one month, but the lines appeared and the movement is returned as before!

Most people enjoy the results of their treatments for 3-4 months with optimal dosing

Thank you for your question Sozi an. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression such as the horizontal lines seen on the forehead when one raises the brows. Most people enjoy the results of their treatments for 3-4 months with optimal dosing. If the dose is low patients may not enjoy the results for the full 3-4 months. Before and after photographs are helpful when assessing results. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

There are a variety of factors that could play a role in how long your Botox lasts.

There are a variety of factors that could play a role in how long your Botox lasts. Often, doctors will perform very conservative injections at first, as Botox cannot be reversed, so it’s better to under-inject than over-inject and leave the patient with results that they don’t like and can’t get rid of until it wears off naturally. Different people also metabolize differently, although the typical time frame for Botox is 3-5 months. I recommend visiting your injector for a follow-up to see what’s going on and if you need a touch-up

Karen Beasley, MD
Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox

Thank you for your question in regards to Botox.
If you are a first time Botox user, the injector may have only used a minimal amount of Botox. A follow up appointment two weeks is recommended to discuss any concerns.  A possible touch up at that time is possible as well for additional units. To be sure, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Results May Depend on Dose

Thank you for reaching out for advice. It is understandable to be frustrated if the results following your BOTOX injections are fading after a month. Typically, patients see results last for 3 to 4 months. It is difficult to offer advice, however, without knowing more details about your treatment. For example, the number of units injected and whether you've been treated previously with BOTOX could indicate your next steps. It's possible that your provider needs to use more of the product to get longer-lasting results. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Otto Weiglein, FRCSC
Burlington Plastic Surgeon

Botox Longevity

If your Botox is only lasting for one month, then the dose that you were given is most likely too low. If this was your first Botox treatment, your injector may have intentionally dosed you a little low, since more Botox can always be added, but if the dose was too high and you didn't like it, it can't be taken away.

I'd recommend you discuss this with your injector as you will most likely just need a higher dose (more units).

Andrew Campbell, M.D.
Facial Plastic Specialist
Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox Not Lasting in Forehead

Each person metabolizes neuromodulators (Botox, Dysport, Xeomin) in slightly different time frames.  Typically results last 3 to 4 months.  When treating forehead lines, your dermatologist or plastic surgeon is likely being conservative in dosing to prevent your eyebrows and eyelids from feeling heavy or drooping. Please return to you physician to let him or her re-evaluate you.  Each patient needs an individualized treatment plan. 

Suneel Chilukuri, M.D.
Houston, TX

Suneel Chilukuri, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and Results Not Lasting

I suggest you speak to your dermatologist or plastic surgeon, you may need higher dose or to try Dysport or Xeomin.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Sorry to hear you haven't been happy with the result of your Botox injections.  There are many variables as to why some people don't have as long-lasting resulting.  Your doctor may not have used as much product as necessary to treat your particular concern, some people who are very active metabolize Botox differently than others, and if you have had Botox frequently, sometimes you can begin to see diminishing results.  Let your doctor know about your concerns.  It is realistic to expect that Botox will last from 3-4 months, and I suspect that your physician will want you to be satisfied.  You might also want to consider switching to Dysport or Xeomin, which are similar products but may work better for you.  Best of luck.  

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Botox won't last as long if you've had a light dose

Sometimes foreheads have to be treated very lightly to avoid droopy brows from occurring.  The lighter the dose, the less time it will last.  In my Orange County office, we customize all Botox doses so if they don't last long enough we usually can gradually increase the dose until we find that "sweet spot" between lasting longer and not looking frozen or dropping the brows.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Forehead Botox lasted only a month

It sounds like you didn't get enough to have a typical effect that should last 3-4 months. I would suggest returning to your injector to discuss it. No one wants to over-inject but he/she may simply have been too conservative with your dosing and you simply need more.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."