Which type of Laser therapy do I need?

I do not know what is my skin type. I have tested different Lasers such as Diode Soprano Ice, Alexandrite, Light Sheer - the results are the same. They reduced hair growth, but not significantly. In order to avoid different tests on my skin I want to choose one and go with it, but which is the right one I do not know.

Best LASER for hair removal

Ineffective laser hair removal may be a result of inappropriate wavelength, underpowered laser (low fluence or hand piece that requires replacement), underlying medical or hormonal condition (i.e. testosterone levels, et), or provider with not using appropriate technique or settings.  Consider mixing up the types of lasers as well to see if your hair responds better to other types of systems

There is no single best laser system, but characteristics of a good laser hair removal office and laser are as follows for the best hair removal

-Experience with hair removal- Staff must be knowledgable about hair removal and understand how to treat it.  If the fluence is too low, more hair can result (hypertrichosis) rather than hair loss

-Proper wavelength- Diode and Nd:YAG and Alexandrite are the  best lasers for  hair removal.  In my office, we prefer the diode as it requires less sessions and tends to be more effective in targeting and treating hair (more hair removed per session) and is extremely versatile.

-Appropriate cooling- All laser systems need cooling to provide safety and comfort.  Uncomfortable laser hair removal tends to result in lower laser hair settings and can cause actual more hair to occur rather than less hair.

Hope that is helpful.

Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Knowing What's Right For You--Laser Hair Removal, Takes a Series of Treatments

I find that the Asclepion Mediostar Next is the best.  Diode or alex lasers are very versatile.  Aerolase is good on the face and gentials.  See an expert and keep in mind it does take a series of treatments. Best, Dr. Emer.

Light skin, Alexandrite laser is probably the best for hair removal.

For light skin with dark hair, the Alexandrite laser is probably the best laser. I use a diode laser, the LightSheer Duet and have great results as well. It is usually a matter of the settings and number of treatments that makes the ultimate difference and not the laser in light skin patients.

Steven F. Weiner, MD