I have a gaunt look? Can the gaunt look be reversed if i get implants. (photos)

Facial fillers

You don't appear gaunt.  You do have some scarring in the cheeks which can cause some depressions and loss of volume.  Release of the scars and some fat injections can help with this.  Non-ablative fractionated resurfacing can also help even with darker skin tones.  
You may also want to consider a chin implant to strengthen the jawline.   

Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Facial recontouring options

Your face doesn't look too gaunt or thin. For those issues, filler or dat transfer is best. If you are thinking about augmenting your lower facial structure, I can see how that could benefit. A chin implant is a great option. For the angle of the jaw, implants, in my opinion have a lot of issues, most notably asymmetry is a big concern. For that reason, and a few others, I prefer filler for increasing angle definition. 

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Gaunt Face

By the traditional interpretation of a gaunt face, you do not have one. You would have to very specifically define where you feel your face is volume deficient. Know were helps determine whether implants or injections would be the best treatment approach.

Cheek implants for flat cheeks, chin implant for weak chin profile

It is very difficult to tell from the limited photographs what may be required. When patients have flat cheeks and a flat maxilla, cheek implants are placed for a permanent augmentation to give more volume in the mid face area. When patient's have a weak and recessive chin profile, a chin implant is placed for patients to augment the bony chin profile forward. Cheek and chin implants are composed of Silastic and are placed under general or local anesthesia

Volumizing Fillers Are A No-Knife Means For Improving A Gaunt Face

A frontal view would have been a useful addition to the two the two side-view photos provided. However, there does seem to be some flattening, or perhaps mild hollowing of the mid cheek regions, which may also be increasing the prominence of your acne scars. Invasive surgery, however, with its expense and attendant risks and complications is not your only option or perhaps not even the best option. 

The use of an injectable volumizing filler, such as Voluma XC, which I would choose in my Upper East Side Manhattan practice, oe Stylage XXL, which would be my filler of choice in my Israel satellite facility (where a far greater number of regulatory agency approved fillers are available) would be one simple, no-knife approach to treating this problem.

The procedure would take approximately five minutes per side to perform in experienced hands, engenders little to no post-treatment downtime, and typically prompts an immediate "Wow!" response. As an added bonus, the mid-facial reflation that would be achieved in this fashion would likely also help to smooth some of the acne scars whose prominence may have been enhanced by the volume depletion in the mid cheeks.

You would do well to seek consultation and treatment by a board certified aesthetic physician with expertise and experience in the use of injectable fillers and volumizers for nonsurgical facial enhancement and rejuvenation. Since the male face differs in many ways from that of the female, you must make sure that the physician injector you choose also has experience with treating men in this fashion in order to avoid having your face inadvertently feminized. So, vett your potential physicians carefully.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Facial evaluation

Hello and thank you for your question. It is difficult to give you a full assessment based on these photographs alone. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

I have a gaunt look? Can the gaunt look be reversed if i get implants.

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures using dermal fillers, facial implants (cheek, chin), liposuction and/or facelifts for over 30 years. Based upon the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, men look chiseled and handsome with angularity in the cheeks, chin and mandibular angles. From the photos, your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), the chin is weak as are the mandibular angles and there is excess facial fat in front and below the cheeks. This combines to create an elongated oval shaped face.

A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin. Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective. I typically perform chin implantation using a local anesthetic in 30 minutes or less.

The following procedures would create a more ruggedly handsome face.

• Cheek augmentation with cheek implants to add angularity to the cheeks and mid face. This would be combined with liposuction to reduce the excess facial fat to further define the cheek shape.
  • Chin augmentation, using a chin implant, to add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.
  • Augmentation of the mandibular angles using a dermal filler (jaw implants have too many unwanted side effects IMHO) to add volume, angularity and flare to the jaw line.
Hope this helps.

Can implants reverse gaunt look in cheeks?

I would not say that you have a gaunt appearance, but there is some loss of volume in your cheeks that could be improved with either fillers or implants.  There are a variety of implants and fillers that could be used.  I would recommend consulting with a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon to discuss your options.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon