My tummy tuck is tomorrow, is it normal to have so much anxiety and fear?

I have had a breast reduction and I did great with the anethesia but for some reason I'm scared, now like my anxiety level is high!!! I am 26 no significant medical history, one child birth, I am an APRN, so I know a lot of medical Information, it's just now I'm nervous like I will not wake up. Is this a normal feeling, with my breast surgery I felt like this but not as much. I've researched my plastic surgeon she is board certified and I love her, I just want to shake this nervousness

Anxiety prior to surgery is very normal; its complete elimination is usually not possible.
I ask my patients  to try to be as calm as possible prior to surgery;  this “calmness"  tends to translate to a smoother postoperative course. You may be able to alleviate some  pre operative anxiety with music, exercise, meditation, a glass of wine (if ok with your surgeon), and positive/objective focus on the long term outcome/benefits etc. prior to your procedure.

Generally, patients find that they did “get worked up for nothing” after their  recovery  is completed.
 I hope this helps.  Good luck!

Patient Nervous Before Tummy Tuck

Your anxiety is perfectly normal. Before surgery patients have to read through a consent form that can be very scary. Combine that with a fear of anesthesia, and that can lead to a sleepless night!

Fear of anesthesia is like a fear of flying. People think nothing of driving to the airport, which carries a much higher risk of fatality than does, say, flying to New York on Virgin Atlantic. But people sense that lack of control (the pilot is making all the decisions, and the airplane sure is high up in the air) with danger. The same goes for anesthesia.

In both situations, however, your life is under the control of a well-trained professional in a technologically advanced setting. If we had to sign a consent before getting in a car, we'd walk a lot more! 

I've attached a link to a Mother's Day blog post I wrote. Though you may not be a mother, the sentiments still hold. I'm sure your plastic surgeon with whom you have such good rapport feels the same about her patients. 

Good luck! 

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Anxiety about anesthesia

Well of course it is pretty normal to be anxious--it's a big deal!  On the other hand, think about driving.  You do it all the time, and normally it's fine.  Something bad COULD happen, and you subconsciously are on alert to avoid it, but you don't get major anxiety about driving.

Anesthesia is similar.  Your doctors will be watching to make sure that you are safe, but it's also another day at the office...and you are likely young and healthy, so the chances of something bad happening are orettty slim.  Hope that helps!

Michael E. Decherd, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Anxiety before surgery

Anxiety before surgery is normal especially fear of anesthesia. Call your plastic surgeon and speak with her about it. Perhaps she may prescribe you something. Best of luck.  

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Anxiety

Is normal to have anxiety prior Any surgery! It Will be good to call your doctor And tell him About it

Gabriel Obayi, MD
Venezuela Plastic Surgeon

Pre-surgery anexity abdominoplasty

Anxiety is not unusual prior to any surgery.  It is a time that places you out of control.  Trust that you have made the right decisions and have considered the risks and benefits.  

Anxiety before your procedure

It is normal to be nervous before a procedure. Try to trust your plastic surgeon and be convinced that everything wil be ok. Best of luck!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Anxiety and fear

It is perfectly normal to be anxious prior to surgery.  You must have chosen your surgeon carefully.  Please trust her and her team.  Perhaps calling her office and speaking to either your surgeon or nurse would help.  Best wishes for your surgery!

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Preop anxiety

It is totally normal to feel anxious before surgery. 
Pas long as you are going to a trained plastic and reconstructive surgeon who is board certified you can feel confident about going through with your decision for having surgery in the first place. 

Good luck!

Carlos Castaneda, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Anxiety before Plastic Surgery

Dear Robin,
Your anxiety is totally normal and expected. I , often joke that I am more concerned with those patients that experience no anxiety. Any time you have surgery there may be risks. Even though the risks are small, they are still present.
If you did your homework and trust your physician, you are in a good place and will do great.
Best of luck.

Robert M. Freund, MD